Plowing with four abreast

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Eli.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I found one of my Amish neighbors plowing with four horses on a single bottom pioneer sulky plow.   He made a hitch to extend it out.  I think that reduces the side draft?  Anyway, it worked with three horses on the land and one in the furrow which seemed impossible to me.  you can see some pictures on my Web album.  Also a couple picture from our refurbished plow the day after it returned from Sam Rich’s.  It worked great.  Our interns were there all weekend and had a  great time.  On the web album looking at Plowing April 2013.

picasaweb.google.com/mulemandonn

dominiquer60

Donn,

Glad to see that plow turning good furrows!  Daniel and Scott were great to have around and word on the street is that along with Tim they turned quite a few heads in the ice cream stand 🙂

I like the looks of your neighbors set up, it looks a little awkward, but I bet that horse in the furrow would be less happy in the plowed ground.  That is the way I see many folks plow with 4, one horse on the plowed ground, it makes me wonder if the driver/owner would think differently if he/she had to walked in the plowed ground as well.

j.l.holt
    Participant

Don,,,,,,Nice picture album.   Wish I could post things like that.

Eli
    Participant

I brought my horse to am Amish man yesterday for some training. And they were plowing 4 abreast I watched for a few minutes but had a hoarse on the trailer for two hours already. He said when the horses are in shape and the plow is shined up they can use two but four is easyer on the horses. They use 1 14 inch plow in sod and 2 14 ‘s in corn stubble. Both tractor plows as he called them. They cropped 112 acres with 8 horses but train and sell some. In two weeks I am going back to see how it’s going and get some training.   Eli.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.