PTO cart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    j.l.holt
    Participant

With a ground drive PTO, do you need a over ride clutch ?    What would be a good choice ?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I am not sure why you would need one.  In most cases you don’t have the option of starting to move and then “letting the clutch out”  as you want the equipment, (rake, tedder, baler) to start at the same time you start moving (to avoid plugging).  I don’t think a clutch will help very much.  donn

j.l.holt
    Participant

A over ride clutch will stop the cart from lunging forward as you stop.  The fly wheel on a baler runs on after you stop. Just a few turns but it pushes.  Like a brush  mower.  When you stop it rolls on to a stop. Just wanted to stop the push.  Its like a old 8N ford with out a live PTO.  When you stopped with it and pushed in the clutch, the PTO will push you.   Sorry, but I felt it would be nice to get rid of that, not so ?

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

Not that it makes it right or wrong but the I&J pto cart I have does not have a clutch, it is direct drive.  I will hopefully get more experience with it this year, but I am with Donn I would think you would want the implement to start immediately upon forward motion.

j.l.holt
    Participant

It will start right up…its the stop I was thinking about.  You have had a baler run on or a brush hog. Just a few turns will run against the horses. I know it won’t  be far or fast but just help them out..I guess I could just kick the drive out of gear.

Paulk
    Participant

I think an over riding  or over running as thay are aslo known clutch would be a good idea especially if you did want to pull a bush hog or and equipment that would have the possiblity to push when you stop. If I ever get to building a forecart I was planning on using one since I would like to pull a bush hog or similar.  It may not be needed but I have seen tractors and even people damaged by getting into a tight spot with out live pto and not being ale to stop when they push in the clutch.  One like you mentioned for an old 8N or similar would work.  Just my 2cents.

j.l.holt
    Participant

Paulk,,,if you ever get into building one,shoot me a e-mail and we can compare building ideas.

Jay
    Participant

I remember using a teamster 2000 with a big bush hog mower on it – 6′ and my memory is that it had a ratchet or coaster that allowed the pto to keep turning without pushing the cart when you stopped, but it engages again as soon as you start forward.   That was nice.  Jay

carl ny
    Participant

If you are running anything with inertia you want one unless there is one built into the cart.

carl ny

j.l.holt
    Participant

That is what I was talking about and thinking.. Might not of explained it well enough to the first person who responded.  So now just put it line at the shop door.  I’m building a log forwarder and had parts and pieces left. And after reading the fore cart posts, got the idea it would be a good place for the left overs of that job.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I think the stopping is a good idea.  I had not seen a PTO cart with that but it makes a ton of sense.  I guess it would depend on what it costs.   When you let something stop as the horses stop you are asking it to plug (because it will slow before it stops).  Stopping the team and letting the tool drift to a stop would  be good.  I bet on Neal’s tractor set up he can put in the clutch and the PTO is free.  I hope the one I an bringing home is like that but to tell you the truth, I am not sure.  As with all things PTO cart, I think it really depends on what exactly you want to pull.

Paulk
    Participant

Will do j.l.holt.  I have thought about incorporating a small 3speed transmission that was on a small stationary power unit I have.  It would be driven by the forecart and then it would drive the pto.  You would be able to vary the load and speed depending on terrain or job being preformed. I don’t know if this would be needed but its something that I could brag about.   Anyone have any thoughts?

j.l.holt
    Participant

Donn…. On all the older tractors,the PTO was not live. It worked as the main gear box did.  Clutch in stops power, but does not keep it from pushing.

Paulk…I think the gear box would add to much ”drive train” drag to the system.  Unless you plan on 3-4 head every hook.  All equipment is set to run at its peak on the 540 RPM scale..If you just made sure your cart could keep 540, you should be all right.  I was evening toying with setting up to run 545-550 so when the team got a little wore down, they were still at 540.  Alittle extra speed would not hurt a thing. The biggest thing I see is getting enough traction with out adding undo weight.

near horse
    Participant

j.i holt –

While the 540 RPM output seemed to necessary to me as well, Dris Abraham at Historic Prophetstown in Ohio uses an I & J GD  PTO cart and runs it at 300 or 350 ( apparently you can select a PTO speed).  I can’t recal what he was doing with it at that speed (I think maybe mowing) but he IS pretty experienced with the the GD cart from I &J.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Some of the I and J cart do have two speeds.  Also Neal Perry found the use of the transmission for different speeds useful.  I think there are two reasons for this.  Some equipment will work at a wider range of PTO speeds and still be effective.  it is also a little difficult to accurately predict the horses ground speed.  A change of .5 mph might change PTO 20%.   Like the above question, What is the added drag of the transmission and is it worth it.  I will be setting my   Cart up for three abreast of the bat.

If you can down shift one gear, but it makes it pull easier, but it is still working as needed, then this is a good level of flexibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.