putting check on the horses?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals putting check on the horses?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NB axemen
    Participant

What’s everyone opinion of using checks (I think that’s the common name? used to keep the horses heads up).
    Yes it probebly looks better when they are standing tall and proud…

But I don’t use my horses for show, they are for work.

Just had someone come over today which is very knowledgable in horses, and that’s always “how the did it.”

I like to learn from this guy as there was a few thing not adjusted 100% in the harnesses that I fixed, but I like to not use check as I feel the horses had more freedom with it’s head and can work better?

What’s everyone opinion?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

As you say, our harnesses and bridles are set up for work. I like the simplest check available. I even go so far as to cut the little rings off the throat latch. For me a check serves one purpose and I hate working horses with out it. They help prevent eating, and more importantly thinking about eating at every moment. Mine are loose enough for good range of movement and go right from the bit over one hames and back the bit. If a horse needs a reminder, I will tighten it for a while. I have worked with a few horses that didn’t have them and invariable their heads were down when I didn’t want them to be. A horse that eats moves it feet.

Jay
    Participant

Ditto all of Donn’s comments. I use checks on every horse just so they can’t even think of trying to eat all the time. Turns working with them into a real pleasure instead of a fight.

dominiquer60

Does anyone have a preference for what type of check is best to prevent grazing.

I know a few horses that are in overchecks, they are set very reasonable for work, but the horses are smart. They put their heads down and bend into the check which often gives them enough slack to grab at something green. I find this rather annoying, and tightening the check helps but can be too tight when working. Are side checks harder to weasel any slack out of for grazing? I like that side checks can just bet put over the hames too, one less snap to deal with. Curious to see what others think, I am planning the harness that I want to buy, even though my first team of horses is a long way off:)

mitchmaine
    Participant

i have one horse that likes to chew and he will stretch for grass. it might be the most annoying thing a horse does for me. drives me nuts. i just use bale twine. loop it through the bit ring and cinch it on either side and tie them together behind the hame tops. not very pretty but works like a charm and we have lots and lots of twine.

Jay
    Participant

@dominiquer60 39690 wrote:

Does anyone have a preference for what type of check is best to prevent grazing.

I know a few horses that are in overchecks, they are set very reasonable for work, but the horses are smart. They put their heads down and bend into the check which often gives them enough slack to grab at something green. I find this rather annoying, and tightening the check helps but can be too tight when working. Are side checks harder to weasel any slack out of for grazing? I like that side checks can just bet put over the hames too, one less snap to deal with. Curious to see what others think…:)

Erika, my experience with side checks looped over the top of the hames is that if they really want to eat, they just pull the top of the collar forward and eat. I have gone to clipping the check to a line to each side of the britchin – that way they can pull against it if they want. It seems to remove the temptation, yet they don’t have to be checked up too high. Jay

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Erika, Like any thing else, horses mist be trained to the check. In the beginning, they are still thinking about eating and thus pulling the harness up. mnay checks originate at the britchen and the loop from the bit just clips to that. I like the simplest hte best and just use the keather strap over the hames. Wost horses eventually accept it for what it is and stop worrying to eat Connie is the worst case. She works with a very low head carry, and you don’t want to prevent the natural head carry. She also has a huge eating disorder (always must eat!) her check is tight compared to the rest, and I unsnap it from the bit and reconnect as the easiest way to get it over the hames. It gives her just enough room for her head carry. She doesn’t pull on it or try to eat while working, but it takes a little while to get there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.