Question about team lines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeroen
    Participant

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while, but back with a little question:

In our market garden we have fixed permanent beds on which the horses hardly ever walk and only when it is dry. The pathways are kept clean with a single horse/cultivator and if needed we use the team to pass a spring tooth harrow to prepare the beds. The horses are then each walking in a pathway with the bed between them. Until now I use a normal double tree and normal team lines, but this way they have the tendency to walk more on the bed than on their path, which is not what I want. My solution would be to make a larger doubletree the width of the bed + 1 pathway and to adjust the lines. The adjustment on the lines has something to do with the cross lines, but I don’t remember what it was. Can anyone help?

Kind regards from France,

Jeroen

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Hi Jeroen,

I work my horses within a raised bed system in which the team is 6 feet apart. I found that I can spread the two horses adequately by extending the length of the evener+yoke to 6ft and lengthening each stub line by about 12 inches with a short loop of rope. The outside line requires no adjustment. I love the rope additions as I can easily go from my bed implements to standard 40in eveners and yokes by just dropping the small section of rope. If I was driving them loose (without a pole) I would definitely use a jokey yoke in the front and back. The evener and yoke provide necessary structure. Defined pathways for the horses help tremendously as well.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I second Carl’s response. You can adjust your stub (inner) lines to allow their heads out. You will be setting up the lines so that they match the evener, if your evener is too narrow for the bed then you will need a wider evener and to adjust the lines to match.

Let us know how it goes?

Jeroen
    Participant

Hi!

I did a test yesterday with longer innerlines and it works great. Now I have to make the evener that goes with the setup.

Thanks!

Jeroen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.