Question: Should I charge hourly fee for second trip to see woodlot?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Forestry Question: Should I charge hourly fee for second trip to see woodlot?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I am looking at a logging job that is on a lot located about 45 mins each way from my place. I already drove down there and spent 2 hours walking the woodlot with the landowner. I did not charge anything for that trip. Now, the forester has contacted me and wants to walk the lot with me. This job will be charged by the thousand (if I decide to take it). Any thoughts out there on whether or not to charge the landowner an hourly rate for walking the lot a second time with the forester?
    -Brad

simon lenihan
    Participant

I think if you do not make it clear from the off you really can not charge. We are no different in that we have walked woods 200 miles from home and did not even get the job, i really think it is a case of touting for work and being nervous to charge in case we put off the woodland owners.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Brad,
    I have done what you and Simon describe a bunch of times even going back twice and in some cases not getting the job. I did work with a logger who told folks at the outset one walk about no charge but any other was paid for as a consultant. Good luck.
    Jim

Carl Russell

If you are providing a service, then charge. If it is just recon to see if you want the work, then that should be at your expense. If you think you’ve seen enough, then tell the forester that you don’t need to walk it again. If you’re going to take the job, then decide what you are going to charge for and tell them when it will start.

If you think that it may be a marginally profitable situation where you may be putting in time like this that is hard to charge for then either, don’t take the job, start charging now, or charge more for the work.

Some people, including foresters, tend to devalue the time of people who work for them. If you don’t watch out you will be taken advantage of. This is one of the reasons I charge $50/hr for most of the work I do. It makes people think, and if they don’t want to pay me, then I don’t have to be distracted by their foolishness.

Carl

Baystatetom
    Participant

When a landowner seems concerned about $ I always tell them I can be cheap if I can be fast, but every time I have to stop and explain myself and take hikes in the woods without accomplishing any real task then I have to charge for that time. I would just give the LO a call and in a friendly way explain your concerns.
    ~Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.