Questions

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mink
    Participant

i keep mine differently as they are tied in tie stalls when inside . i like the tie stall because mine are mares and all the mess stays in one place behind them so its easy to shovel. in my mind box stalls are harder to clean and use alot more bedding . of course i could see a box stall set-up if the horses had free rein to go in and out as they pleased.mine go in at nite and are turned out all day unless we are having a bad snow storm .

rookie
    Participant

Its been awhile since i have posted! The barn is done except for electric, but its not needed for now I put in light panels on the sides of the barn and now that its staying light just a bit longer the inside of the barn is nice and bright. I have been to look at some horses percherons and a few belgians have not found a fit for me! Well maybe I wasnt a fit for the horse! 😉 My daughter has a quarter horse now it was an offer she couldnt refuse. So now I am looking for a single big boy. I appreciate the welcomes and advice. Spring is getting closer looking forward to some nice weather, hope this post finds everyone happy and healthy!!

grey
    Participant

Good for you – be choosey!

tsigmon
    Participant

Just saw this thread and wanted to respond. Everybody has their favorite breed and wants to promote it as the best so pay attention to the individual horse more than the breed. Size of the person does not necessarily dictate size of horses needed to get farm work accomplished . I’m 6’+ , 270 lbs(and a little bit) and use Haflingers , three of them, 950 t0 1150 lbs and the only thing I haven’t been able to do with them is pull some big logs. A good farrier should be able to maintain a barefoot horse for most farm work .

rookie
    Participant

Well had typed up what I wanted to say but I did something wrong!! A journal sounds like a great idea, need to get on that. I have found myself a mentor he knew my dad and calls me little girl (real ego booster since I will be the big 50 this year) he has had every draft breed there is so he has offered to go with me and help me find the best fit for me and the horse. The best to everyone and I hope everyone on the east coast are doing ok after the big snowstorm.

j.l.holt
    Participant

On your shoeing question.. Think of your self, crawling up a ice hill, using nothing but your finger nails.   How many trips do you plan to make ?

Jeroen
    Participant

Shoeing or not also depends on the surfaces around. Over here we have lots of rock and stones so when barefoot the hoofwalls will chip off. Shoeing is in this case a must. But when I had even grounds and less tarmac around they would be barefoot. Saves a lot of time (and money).

I feed only hay (when its good) and when really working some grains. There is that widespread misunsderstanding about work. For me work is more than 2 hours sweating and really pulling something.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.