R.I.P. Lou

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bendube
    Participant

We euthanized our off ox, Lou last night. Due to the controversy (including threats) surrounding our slaughter decision, we couldn’t find anyone to process him, and we did not want to put him through another snowy, icy winter with his injuries. He had to be buried off-site due to a high water table and proximity to a town water source.
    Lou was 11 years old. He was always the smarter one, and with so many different teamsters learning to drive on him, that made for some trouble, though he was always gentle and docile. The trouble made for learning.
    He will be missed by many.

-Ben

Jean
    Participant

Ben, thanks for letting us know. My thoughts are with you and Lou. Sorry it had to come to this.

Jean

jen judkins
    Participant

Its too bad he could not have been composted on site for future benefit of the college farm.

Jay
    Participant

Ben and all, our thoughts are with you – it’s never easy – this “other” side of living/working farming, but I wouldn’t trade it hard as it is sometimes. We are thinking of you. Jay

near horse
    Participant

Ben –

You and those who had the pleasure of knowing and working Lou have my deepest sympathy. As Jay says, it’s never easy but I think the sadness indicates the level of relationship you had with him.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

The most important thing is that he is resting peacefully and not in pain. The smart ones always seem to be there to teach us something about ourselves.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.