Recommended reading

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps you guys can find a way to make this thread a “sticky” so it stays at the top and readily accessible?

Carl, Lisa, Eric and anybody else; I am always looking for good reading material regarding homesteading, rotational pasturing, sustainable farming, etc. Perhaps you would share the titles of good references. especially those that are worthy of a permanent spot on the bookshelf.

Carl Russell

Mike, it is some what difficult to start assigning importance to certain threads, because we would eventually have to start taking bribes,:D.

No seriously, we do have a category for books and resources, where it is our hope that people will start reviewing and/or recommending such as you mention. We will start to concentrate on that, and we hope that others will also.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Carl

Rod
    Participant

One of my favorite books is ” The gift of Good Land” by Wendell Berry. Although it’s not an animal power book it self but a collection of short stories about living in the day when animal power in Kentucky on small farms was the normal way of life for many. I am a Wendell Berry fan and always enjoy his books and find inspiration in most of them for pursuit of the the small farm, close community, in rural town settings type of life . Lots of philosophical thoughts in his writings mostly about life in that earlier era and on small farms and homesteads in Kentucky.

Matthew Schofield
    Participant

I myself have no real farming experience, only a year or so with lines in my hands, but I do have a suggestion. “The One-Straw Revolution” by Masanobu Fukuoka was a good read about natural/sustainable farming (very small scale grain production). It entails quite a bit of hand labor and most likely won’t be viable for your situation, but it gets the gears turning. Introduction To Permaculture was another neat one. Good providence.

Jeff
    Participant

Great suggestion on the Wendall Berry front. His books are must reading in my opinion.

For a practical “getting your hands dirty” book on sustainable growing, I’d recommend Eliot Coleman’s Organic Gardening book, which covers everything from garden orientation to cover crops. He also has a useful book on building and using greenhouses called “The four Season Harvest”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.