Redneck hay baler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Okiefarmer
    Participant

I have all the horse drawn equipment to make hay this spring, with the exception of a baler. So, i looked online over the past few days and found the plans for a hand-operated type. Since i don’t require huge amounts of hay for the winter, i figured this would work until i managed something better. I got it all finished up and it makes pretty good bales although a bit smaller than mechanical types.

Naturally, i plan on using this as a work out for my children too (when they ain’t busy draggin up firewood)! LOL

gwpoky
    Participant

Interesting, why not just put it up loose and store it that way? seems like allot of extra work….but I do not have any kids 🙂 I guess for traveling feed it would be handy. Very interesting though, if there is the will there is the way. Thanks for sharing.

bdcasto
    Participant

We must have found the same plans because I made one almost identical to yours and used it for 2 or 3 years before finding a Wisconsin powered New Holland baler. The hand baler is common practice in the south for making pine straw bales where labor is abundant and cheap. Not sure what I’ll do with mine now but you’re right, it is a workout. Maybe I could sell memberships to those with New Years resolutions in a month of so.

BD Casto
    New Carlisle, OH

Okiefarmer
    Participant

One of the main reasons for building this baler is lack of machinery in the south. You guys up north are lucky enough to have alot of the old machinery still available to you. Here in the south what hasn’t rusted away has been hauled off for scrap. I traveled to Missouri to get my loose hay loader (500 miles away). The only self-propelled balers half-way useable that I have found are 750-1000 miles away.
    I only use 100-150 square bales a year depending on the winter. On average I only have to feed in January and February. My pastures are coastal Bermuda and winter rye. I run 3 drafts, 3 quarter horses, a mini, 2 cows, and 5 hogs on 35 acres.
    So for now i will continue the hard labor, unless i happen across a baler close, for the right money. It really isn’t that bad. Set the baler by the wagon, have the strings already cut, and a feller can knock one out about every 3 mins.

near horse
    Participant

Need to think of a way to make the power source look/seem more like playground equipment. Along the lines of those merry-go round and teeter/totter water pumps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.