Restarting after some time off

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Restarting after some time off

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Littlejohn
    Participant

I havent worked my clyde in about a year or so, due due being in georgia for a while and having a new baby, to beat around the bush ive just been lazy. I plowed the garden with the tractor because I havent even ran him on the sled since then. But I was just asking for some pointers and such to getting back in the game. Any suggestions for what to do to help refresh? Im gonna disc the garden with him on tues (my sunday, I have an odd work schedule) and gonna try and take a few trips on the sled to get both him and I a little refreshing lol. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Carl Russell

Awesome. Have a good time, and welcome back.

Carl

Cameron Littlejohn
    Participant

Thank you Carl, well he did pretty good on the disc, I made about 3 passes and on the third pass I guess he got a little excited and kept trying to speed up to a pretty good trot, and he wont stand for long, he used to stand for any amount of time no problem but I guess ill just have to stay on him and keep workin with him even just 30 min each eve to get him used to it again.

Stephen Leslie
    Participant

If you have stony soil—picking rock with him on a stone boat might just be a good way to ease him back into shape—as you can put as many or few stones on a load as he is able/willing to handle. Sounds like with his itchy feet problem though, you best should have a helper so one can mind the horse while the other loads and unloads the stone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.