restoring a wagon, need thoughts.

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication restoring a wagon, need thoughts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    PeytonM
    Participant

Hey gang!

Some of you may know I got a team of Belgians. I’ve got a lot of stuff from my Grandma that was my Grandpas. He passed a few years ago. Well I got his wagon home and made a pole for it and got it all set up for my boys to pull it. All the wood is in rather rough shape just from being really old, some sort of mite or worm has holes all over in it and some of it is just dry rotted so they way it is I can use it and its something they can pull but its nothing I would want to show off at a parade.

I have two choices
    1) re do it and keep it close to the way it looks now. I don’t know what weight springs are on the running gear however Its pretty stout. I would add a board on the back that is angled at like a 45* out.

2) I would do kind of like the Budweiser style wagon out of it. I have the skill and ability to make it.

both of these wagon would be mainly red with the under being black, If I did the style of wagon that it is now I would use mild steel and have it painted all black if I did the Bud style I would use all stainless with it all polished.

I would like a Bud style wagon but at the same time I feel as if I would be taking a part of grandpa out of it.

So anyone know where I could get a running gear and not spend a arm and a leg?

Thanks for all the help. Many more pics to come of these boys!

PeytonM
    Participant
    grey
    Participant

What you’ve got there is a nice little 4WD mud-boggin’ backroads farm wagon. No need to go trying to make it into a Caddy. A hitch wagon (the “Bud-type” wagon), IMHO, looks funny on rubber tires. A hitch wagon should be 5th wheel on wood spoke wheels. That wagon gear you have looks like a good base to build a nice multipurpose wagon on top of. But not a hitch wagon. Keep your eyes and ears open and some day you’ll run across a good deal on a wood-wheeled running gear in good shape that you can build a hitch wagon on top of. I think grampa’s wagon should stay more of a mid-70’s Ford Bronco (or International Scout, if you prefer) type of vehicle.

PeytonM
    Participant

Gramps wagon has a 5th style steering, not as big as bud style hitch and also had wooden wheels. The spokes were cut off and these rims were welded on the hub of the wooden one. I’ll post some pics of it. I also think the rear should have a little bigger tires cause it slants backwards. I’ve been thinking of just find parts and building one from scratch. Or making a fith wheel hitch and axle from scratch cause I am a welder and know alot of machine tool guys.

grey
    Participant

If the tires are the same size on the back and the front, then add blocking under the box. Between the suspension and the box, rather than between the axle and the suspension.

jac
    Participant

Peyton it isnt really that hard to build a suitable wagon for parades.. here is a couple of fotos of mine. Built from 2 inch angle iron ,2×2 box and 3×2 box.. the angle is used for the top box and I then fill the angle in with timber to create the image of a solid wagon.. creating a Bud style wagon wouldnt be hard to make either.. axles are off a front wheel drive van.. I use the rear axles. Wheels are off a 7 series BMW . 5th wheel is 2 rings profiled out by my local fabricating shop. Main bolsters are solid Elm..
    037.jpg
    029.jpg

PeytonM
    Participant

Where did you get all the leafs from?

jac
    Participant

Leaf springs are all sourced from the wrecking yard.. In fact the front ones are single leaf ones that are made of fibreglass.. The axles have a port which means I could use less timber to get the ride height correct. The way its made I can swich to traditional wheels easily.. That wagon you have looks like a really handy vehicle to have around the farm.. be a shame to cut it up.

Marshall
    Participant

Very nice John. That must be the young lady in training?

jac
    Participant

Hey Marshall, yep thats Caitlyn on the lines for a spell. she can handle them not too bad for a 12yr old {at the time}.. she is still a bit shaky in the tight turns but will get there …

PeytonM
    Participant

I’ll post some pics of it up. she needs to go under the knife one way or another, a lot of the wood is just rotten… is it something I can hook them to to pull around? yeah would I load it up with much of anything? no… not strong enough in my mind…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.