retro fitting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

An additional thought on the maure spreader. Can the more modern spreaders be retro fitted to be hauled by a horse? Thanks Jennifer.

goodcompanion
    Participant

I’m surprised no-one replied to this.

Any ground-driven spreader can be pulled by horsepower. You just need a forecart to hitch it up to, and a good match between the size of the spreader and the strength of your team. It seems they make ground-driven spreaders designed for atvs and such now.

cherprit
    Participant

Hi,
    I had asked the same question – I’ll post the answer and try to upload a picture – Here is the reply I got – same question you had

Hi Cheryl,

We have a few Amish owners that pull their spreaders with Drafts. I don’t see why you couldn’t if you can attach the necessary harness hook-up to the draw bar. The smallest Rotary SMART Spreader is only two and ½ feet wide and weighs just 220#s. Would that be too small for them?

I am attaching a closer picture of the draw bar so you know what you would be dealing with. The picture is the ES24 (four ft wide), but the smaller ES12 is built the same, just narrower.

Thanks for your interest!

Linda
    The Stablers, Inc
    1951 CR 23
    Waterloo, IN 46793
    260-348-4847
    877-695-8582 toll free
    linda@thestablers.com

Jean
    Participant

I have this spreader in the small size. I bought it thinking I would use my horse to pull it. That was before I found out my horse will not pull anything.

I can get about 3 days of manure in it before spreading with 3 big horses and 2 minis.

There is no reason it could not be pulled with a forecart. It hitches to the tractor very easily.

Jean

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.