Roll bar size

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Low
    Participant

I am wondering what diameter the roll bar should be on a dump sledge I am making. It will have a tongue bolted onto it, with iron angle braces. It is going to be used primarily to haul heavy loads of manure. The animal power is a team of Devon oxen. My oldtimer neighbor suggested a 6″- 8″ diameter roll bar tapering into 5″- 6″ iron bands. He just wanted me to run it past some other people, it has been over 50 years for him since he has worked with animal power.

Carl Russell

At first I thought you were trying to protect yourself from rolling over!! I make the rolls on my sleds out of 4×8 hardwood stock (sometimes 2-2×8’s bolted together), and taper down to 4″ steel bands. If your runners are long like 8′, then you may want it a bit ruggeder(?). The most important part will be the steel rod that must be at least 3/4″ and “cold rolled” hardened steel so it will last the shucking. Old silo bands are a good source to cut them to length, they are already threaded on one end. Also cross bolt every place you put a bolt that will bear weight to prevent splitting. The hitch hook should also wrap around the beam and bolt back up through the base of the pole so that the pull won’t roll the roll. If the draft is only on the top of the roll it will put too much stress on the bolts and A-frame. By having the hook on a bracket or staple that holds the roll perpendicular to the draft, you can take full advantage of the dimensions of your roll. Good luck, Carl

Michael Low
    Participant

Thanks for the clear and thorough answer. I have some milling to do and the metal parts to have fabricated but will plan to post pictures when I am done.
    Michael Low

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.