Royal Highland Show

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries Royal Highland Show

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Just back from a day at the Highland Show at Edinburgh and what a refreshing day I had.. yes the big agriculture was out in force but it was the cattle lines that fired me up the most.. so many traditional breeds kept going by dedicated breeders.. Hereford, Angus, Belted Galloway, Beef and Dairy Shorthorn, Devons and my favorite.. the Ayrshire.. ok they have all got bigger over the years but i still think for a converter of grass to milk the Ayrshire takes a lot of beating.. the double muscled rump of the Belgian Blue might be financially better but give me a Hereford or Devon any time.. Holstein might give a load more milk but for Ayrshire farms i think the higher stocking rate with a traditional Ayrshire cow must count for a lot… I was on a stand for New Holland equipment and they had a tractor with a sticker saying ” You can own this tractor for £99,995 or well over $150,000 !!!! Holly Crap !!!! they make it sound as if their doing us a favour.. Had a long chat with a guy that made grass slitters and the benefits of the increased clover growth from such a machine.. such a mixed day.. one side the big ag that we all know is really not sustainable.. and on the other side the traditional breeds and more sympathetic approach to farming..even the big guys seem to be thinking “sustainable”.. the Monsanto terminator gene was mentioned and even some big farmers were voicing concerns over this stupid idea.. home now to my small version…
    John

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi john, lots of fun going to those big ag shows. the maine versions are full of all levels of logging equipment, with splitters and processers and forwarders down to tractor winches and so on. big farm equipment in maine is a far cry from what your talking about. but its big enough. i have to stop and remember sometimes that big or small, we are still all farmers and in this together. up against the same villains. bankers. dealers. monsanto. blah, blah, blah. you know what i mean. we have to unite against the common enemy. cheap food. we need to be talking good, quality food. real food. unprocessed. anyway, good to hear you. good farmin’

mitch

mother katherine
    Participant

I’m getting excited to go to the agricultural fairs in our area. They’re pretty lame compared to what we went to in Maine, but better than nothing. There are no ox events and few draft horse competitions.
    Someday, I’ll get back to Fryeburg in the first week of October.
    oxnun

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.