Sawmill shed and space for future expansion

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Homestead Sawmill shed and space for future expansion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

You might know the story of this sawmill. I bought it not expecting to have to move it, but plans change. As a result I had the opportunity to build myself a large structure to cover it, provide drying space for cut timbers, and provide space for future expansion of my homestead. It looks like I’m really going to cut my new home from the woods up here. Plans change, that’s for sure.

If you’re interested, here’s a link to a photo gallery of the build. I needed to work fast to get a roof over the mill before first snow (first real snow anyway), so I bought the steel brackets ($$$). Once I got a few joints put together this way it went super fast. I could build two bents an hour. Plates are 1/4″ steel with 11/16 holes drilled for 5/8X8″ bolts. I drilled 7/8″ from each face of the beam which allowed for drift or any error in drilling and still let plates line up. They are STRONG, as I found out when I dropped one 🙄

I have to give a huge thanks to Carl for coming and helping on the day we reassembled the mill and cut the first beams in the new site.

Here’re the pictures: https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/104518107204378286890/albums/5958010501423786433

Carl Russell

Jay, you have a real gem there. A saw mill set up on a handy landing on the edge of your wood lot will yield years of valuable product.

The building looks great. I did very little in the scope of things, but am very happy I was able to make it down to see some of your place. Plans change, but no plan is worth the paper it is written on without the commitment and ingenuity to pull it off, and you clearly have those attributes wrapped up.

I love all of the thought that you put into the design of this shed…… There are many things about this change of plans that you will look back on as opportunities, and I think that this building will be one.

Keep up the good work, Carl (nice pics)

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Jay, nice looking shed. It looks well designed and productive. I’ve never seen a pto-driven mill. Do you do custom sawing or is it just for your own use?

George

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Thanks for the support. Finishing this has been cold work, and makes me very aware of how short the days are getting. Just getting to the mill after work and getting any work done is a study in diminishing returns. I can’t wait for the days to get longer.

I don’t do any custom sawing now, just cut for myself, and traded some to my farrier. I hope to use the mill to cut the needed timbers for my own future construction, and add custom sawing to my diversification when I leave the off farm job.

Eli
    Participant

Very nice my brother is in the process of building a sawmill shed but he wants a cordwood building. So we are in the process of cutting cedar for the walls. I have always loved sawmills if my brother didn’t have one I would. What size tractor will you run it with? Great job cool mill. Eli

LongViewFarm
    Participant

We run it with a kubota MX5000 most of the time, as that’s the tractor I normally use. It is overpowered for pine, and wasteful of fuel, but I am wanting to try it in hardwood with the more powerful tractor. It cuts pine great on either a Ford 8n or Farmall C- only 25-30hp needed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.