scoot or chains for one wanted

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment scoot or chains for one wanted

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    scott stevens
    Participant

I would be interested in getting a set of chains for a scoot hookup like Carl’s in the photo gallery. Possibly even the whole scoot. A couple of questions about scoots also. Best kind of wood for the runners? And where the end of the pole attaches under the front bunk, how is that pocket attached to keep the end of the tongue in place? I just subscribed to Small Farmers Journal and one of the back issues they sent me was summer 2001 with Carl’s article on logging with the scoot, so that was a bonus.

Carl Russell

Scott, http://www.newenglandoxsupply.com, is a great resource. Les Barden, of Farmington, NH also has made many, and I know that he would be free with answers to those questions. Another resource in your neck of the woods is a fellow, I believe his last name is Nickerson, whom I met at MOFGA LIF several years ago (Pete Hagerty would know how to contact him). And the Maine Logging Museum has plans for building a scoot, printed within the last year in SFJ.

I bought the sled that I use as a scoot. I actually converted it from a long-bunk sled into a scoot. I made the chains out of some old spread chains and rings that I bought at an auction. The pole on my sled fits into a ring that hangs under the front bunk, from a staple (u-bolt) bolted through the bunk. The end of the pole is fitted with a piece of steel shaped like an U that has the ends bent back so that the U fits into the ring, but the ends can’t. The same thing can be accomplished by tapering the end of the pole. The main thing is that the pole is not attached fast, and can swivel, and can be taken out easily. AND the load is not pulled with the pole. AND the animals need to be hitched in tight to keep the pole tightly seated into the ring.

I used oak for the sides, but ash will also work. In fact I am putting material together right now to build a new one. The sled has steel shoes now, but I will also make wooden shoes for the new one, out of soft maple or beech. The bunks should be rugged, oak, ash, sugar maple, or beech.

Good luck, Carl

Garry
    Participant

Carl i use the same sled as in your pitchure ,for tne pole i try to find ahardwood about four inches under the bunk with a croch or lim for a holdback usualy a ash or hornbeem. I use 1/2 inch plastic for shoes usualy last two or three years also have a short set of bobsled runers i use in sugar woods with the same shoes . cold weather here not much sap made a little maple cream and butter tase good Garry.

ngcmcn
    Participant

Scott, the fellow Carl is thinking of in Central Me. is Don Nickerson in Brooks. I have a scoot of his design. Your welcome to take a look or go talk to Donny yer self. he ain’t to far away.

Neal McNaughten
    Unity, me.

scott stevens
    Participant

I have actually been talking to Donald on the phone this winter. I need to make a trip down to see him. He is definitely knowledgeable.

Carl Russell
    Garry;1166 wrote:
    …… pole i try to find ahardwood about four inches under the bunk with a croch or lim for a holdback usualy a ash or hornbeem. …

…I use 1/2 inch plastic for shoes usualy last two or three years …

… cold weather here not much sap made a little maple cream and butter tase good Garry.

Greetings Garry,
    Hop Hornbean, or ironwood, or leverwood, is a very good species to use as a pole, as is ash, both being light, straight, and strong. I also like to find the crotched stems to us for hold backs on the end of the pole.

When you say 1/2 ” plastic for shoes, what is it that you use? PVC? Pipe?

Cold here too, but sun is strong, and although we have 2.5′-3′ of snow in places, the surface water, and streams are running like the end of March. I’m afraid it’s gonna warm up all at once!!!

Where is here? What part of Nova Scotia do you live in? I’ve visited the Bridgewater area many times. I love it up there. Take care, Carl

Garry
    Participant

Carl the 1/2 inch plastic is in a sheet i rip it with skillsaw some use it on bottom of gravel trucks or crusers ,counter sink heads of 1/4 inch wood screws ,live in northern nova scotia near AMHERST looks like were geting a nother week of cold weather.

scott stevens
    Participant

Probably sounds dumb, but is the crotched part holding the tip of the pole from going through the neck yoke ring, or is down under the front bunk keeping the pole from sliding back through that ring?

Carl Russell

I like to make the pole with the crotch on the end of the pole to hold the neck yoke in place, but if the length was right, you could use another natural swelling like a limb to keep the pole from going through the ring. Carl

jason glick
    Participant

hey neal,

could yu help me put together a scoot some time soon. i have a few pieces of hardware just need some technical advice, thanks, jason

KevinFlys
    Participant

Can you simply tell if Runescape is a great game maplestory powerleveling or not without you becoming a member? The answer to that would be, NO! Well you can make a few predictions about Runescape and see the moral of the game when being a regular user and not a member but becoming a member brings a whole lot of additions to Runescape that you would never see if you were not a member. Being a member of Runescape has so many benefits and I will try to list them all here for you. Runescape tells you them, but I’m going to detail it a few features for you here. runescape money

cxb100
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.