Seeking Horse Powered Farming

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education Seeking Horse Powered Farming

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Shaffer
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am looking for a job for this up coming 2012 season and am looking to find some sort of Internship/Apprenticeship having to do with farming with horses. I am open to any and all possible jobs opportunities. I have experience driving single and teams but the vegetable, fruit, and animal aspect is where the knowledge is lacking. I am willing to move anywhere in the country, am willing to learn, and work hard to get things done. I believe highly in organic and renewable resources for a farm. Any input/advice/job leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Brandon.

njfarmer
    Participant

Have you looked into interning at Howell Living History farm in New Jersey? Its around the corner from us. They do everything old fashioned with horses and oxen. They take a couple of interns each year. The website is http://www.howellfarm.org. The guy in charge of the intern program is Rob Flory he can be reached at 609-737-3299 or rflory@mercercounty.org. I believe the give you private room in the farmhouse with shared kitchen and bathrooms. Some kind of stipend and you are responsible for your own food. But I think you get some produce from the farm or something like that. Good luck with the job hunting.

Brandon Shaffer
    Participant

Thank you sir, I will check out the website. I appreciate it.

blue80
    Participant

Last I heard Essex Farm, Essex NY was hiring. Less of an apprenticeship, more of a paid working position from what I gather. If you know how to work teams I think you would be able to learn a lot by being around the other parts of the operation….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice site.. Thanx for sharing!!

Julie Clemons
    Participant

Brandon, I know you posted a while ago. Are you still looking? You might want to check into the MOFGA (Maine Organic Farmers’ and Garderners’ Association) Apprentice Program. I stumbled into an excellent apprentice year with the Birdsalls of Horsepower Farm about a million years ago, and it was just what I needed. Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.