Seeking Part Time living and working situation on draft powered farm or forest

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Seeking Part Time living and working situation on draft powered farm or forest

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    daniel grover
    Keymaster

Hello to all,

I am currently seeking a living and part time working situation/exchange at a draft powered farm. I am currently working part time (20 hrs/week) for FarmHack, an open, sharing community for innovative farm tools. This is mostly remote computer work that I can do from anywhere with internet. With some of my other time, I would love to be working with draft horses (or mules) on the farm, in the forest, or driving on carriages or sleighs. I spent the year with Donn Hewes at Northland last year and am very comfortable driving horses in a bunch of contexts.

I am hoping to find a work for room/board exchange somewhere within an hour or two of Boston, where FarmHack is based. If you know of any situations that might fit my needs and be a good match, please email me (daniel.b.grover@gmail.com) or post or message here. Thanks!

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I may have a good spot for you Daniel. Still moving in myself and getting settled, but I’ll be in touch via email.

Are you still looking?

Ben Coerper
    Participant

Hi Daniel,
    This may be too short of notice, or may not be what you’re looking for, but my farm is looking for an apprentice for the next few months. We have technically closed the application period, but we still haven’t made a decision. If you are interested, at least let me know right away. We were hoping to make an offer by the end of the week. We could be creatively flexible if this seems like the right fit. Here is the listing:

Wild Harmony Farm is a diverse farm in Exeter, RI focused on environmental stewardship. We use no chemicals, drugs, or GMO ingredients in any aspects of the farm. We raise beef cattle, pigs, dairy sheep, chickens, and turkeys. We graze our animals in an intensive rotational system to maximize benefits to the animals’ health and the land. We grow vegetables on 1/10 of an acre, manage a 2-acre apple orchard, keep honeybees, and tap maple trees for syrup. We sell meat and eggs through a 20-member CSA and our farm store. We use a draft horse to help with our timber and firewood harvest.

– Job description
    Our apprentice will be helping with all aspects of vegetable and fruit production as well as animal husbandry. This will include daily chores, pasture management and rotation, breeding, animal health care, and slaughter. We hope to spend at least one day each week working in the woods, driving our horse “Bud”, felling trees, pulling out logs, milling lumber, or splitting firewood. As on any farm, significant time will be spent problem solving, repairing, constructing, and cleaning. We will be canning and freezing fruit and vegetables for winter consumption. The apprentice will help with CSA share packing and pick-up. We will make every effort to educate and include our apprentice in every task. We will tailor the educational opportunities to the desires of the apprentice.

– What we are looking for
    Our ideal candidate will be an avid learner, a considerate and respectful housemate, self-motivated, able to work independently and contribute thoughtfully in a team. The candidate will be able to work long hours with a good attitude, able to lift 75 lbs, willing to get dirty, and passionate about food. We will share some meals as well as cook independently. A personal vehicle is a must, as there is no immediate access to public transportation. The apprentice will have two days off during the week and will be expected to work most weekends. A site visit prior to acceptance is greatly preferred. Non-smoker is essential. The timing is somewhat flexible. We are hoping for the apprentice to be here for most of September, October, and November. Applications due by August 20th.

Benefits include:
    – Housing on-site
    – vegetables, meat, eggs, milk, and fruit from the farm
    – $50/week living stipend
    – All meals
    – 30 mins from beaches

Send questions or completed application to wildharmonyfarm@gmail.com by August 20, 2014.
    You can also call Ben at 315-530-5947.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.