Seeking VT apprenticeship

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Working Situations Seeking VT apprenticeship

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    brandon
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m looking for a horse logging apprenticeship in or nearby Vermont beginning this Winter or Spring. I am interested in learning all aspects horse powered farming, but primarily logging. One of my priorities in this apprenticeship is to develop restorative, responsible forest stewardship practices.

I have some years experience working and apprenticing on a variety of farms- most recently at Does’ Leap farm. However from all my farm experience I have no more than minimal horse and logging exposure. In other words, you’d be working with a blank canvas when it comes to horse logging. I do have a bit of animal experience, and at one point I knew how to wield and maintain a chainsaw.

I work hard, I learn quick, I don’t complain, and I love the cold.

This possible apprenticeship will speak directly to my and my partner’s near-future farm in Vermont. We are looking to settle in either the Northeast Kingdom or Addison county. Over the past few years, I’ve sought to acquire the skills needed for this farm, while working hard to help my teachers develop their own land. My collection of skills is broad and complimenting, but it is horse logging and animal power that will drive my farm.

I want to truly help someone with their business, their farm, and their woodland.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Brandon came to our farm with a similar “blank canvas” – limited exposure to livestock and cheesemaking. He performed admirably – quick learner, enthusiastic and hard working. I recommend him highly. Feel free to contact me directly for a more detailed reference.

George

PS I think he sells himself short on the chainsaw front having completed one or more levels of a “Game of Logging”. He also had some exposure to our team of draft horses.

Rick Alger
    Participant

I’ve got a job going, and I’d love to get some help, but as I said to Tony in an earlier discussion, the landowner requires Workers Comp Insurance, and I can’t afford to buy it.

If you can find a way to self insure – maybe a training grant? – I would be glad to take you on as an apprentice with a production-based stipend.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.