Shaft weight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gooserun Farm
    Participant

I have a homemade forecart/arch that I built for a team. I was thinking about putting shafts on it to use with a single. I’m concerned it might be too heavy. I use D-Ring harnesses. My mare is about 16 hands, 1700 lbs. Any guidelines? With the tongue on it I can lift and move it around pretty easy but it is heavier than my Pioneer cart.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Brandon,
    I use my arch with Rusty and its fairly heavy on the shafts. Been meaning to actually take a scale out and measure it. Maybe tomorrow and I will let you know. I have an old heavy wagon saddle that I use sometimes when I don’t use the D-ring. I just pad the jack saddle on the D-ring. My arch is a walking beam and I can sit on it and thow the weight behind the axles.
    I just moved the skidder to Jason’s and saw your team. I sure like the looks of them, Carl (sp?) is a beauty. Once I get the twitch road worked (maybe a day) they will have a good easy go and be able to work a bit.
    I will let you know the weight and maybe post a picture of us on the arch.
    peace…..Jim Ostergard

Carl Russell

Not that it would be appropriate, but a draft horse ought to be able to carry 200 lbs on the jack saddle of a D-ring harness. Carl

Gooserun Farm
    Participant

Thanks Carl and Jim. So basically if the shafts don’t feel too heavy to me they should be fine for my mare? Jim, they are a great team. Hated to see them leave but I think they’ll do well for Jason. Hopefully they get more work then they did with me. I am hoping to get down there sometime to see your operation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.