sharpening sweeps?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment sharpening sweeps?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Carson

I was sharpening my oscilating hoe of my wheel hoe yesterday and occurred to me that the sweeps on my ox powered equipment (such as my cultivator) are not sharp. I have not heard of these needed it be sharpened, but now I am curious. It sure makes a big difference with a wheel hoe.

njfarmer
    Participant

Andy,
    I guess it really depends on what piece of equipment you were using. With your wheel hoe you use more of a cutting action so I would assume it would work much better with a sharp edge. However on say a walking cultivator where the sweeps and going into the ground vertically I dont think it reallu matters. The cultivator is more or less dragging the sweeps through. I have never used a wheel hoe. Although I am not a huge fan of the traditional hoe. Is the wheel hoe easier on the back? And does it do an efficent job?
    Brian

Andy Carson

I was thinking more of an implement with wide sweeps, that have more of a horizontal cutting action. The oscilating hoe also has verticle arms to’rewch below the surface, and sharpening makes it substantially easier to push.

A wheel hoe is tons more efficient than a traditonal hoe. Can can do at least twice as much area as a traditional hoe, and without any strain on the back. I honestly bit off a bit more than I can chew with a wheel hoe this year, but it’s still a good tool. I need to figure out how I can bring some animal power to help me cultivate, but I’m still limping along. The wheel hoe is a good tool for the limited power one person can generate. I think I will always have use for one if only cleaning up after bigger tools. I made the mistake of buying an earthway wheel hoe at first. It was cheap, but was a waste of money with thin tube steel construction that I ripped up fast. In my opinion, it is not designed for serious work.

dominiquer60

My wheel hoe from Johnny’s work so much better when sharp and I try to keep it that way. I was in Michigan Monday “antiquing” at a bone yard caller Roeter’s. They have a ton of old tractors and vegetable equipment, I spent at least an hour in the old Planet Jr pile and another hour in the cultivator/plow/culitpacker heap, literally a pile of metal. I found a lot of old sweeps, some loose and some on shanks. What I found was that the wider sweeps with wings that travel level for weed killing seemed to stay sharp or keep sharp by use. The old arrow point shovels that travel at a more aggressive angle seem to wear hard and round out easier. A rounded shovel or sweep is less effective and I can imagine a harder pull. I think if I had sweeps or shovels that rounded out bad it would be time to take the grinder to them and reshape to the best of my ability.

plowhand
    Participant

We’ve allways repointed sweeps, on horse or tractor drawn cultivators. We just cut a triangle out of the point and weld a diamond shape back in. Sometimes for the tractor stuff, just weld a new point lapped over the wore out one.

They made a bolt on replacement point for the more common one horse cultivators in this neck of the woods. One just layed the piont on top of the sweep and bolted it back one the cultivator foot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hey erika,

where is that bone yard? i’m looking for parts to put together a cultipacker, any tips would be appreciated…

thanks,
    evan

dominiquer60
    Anonymous
    Inactive

haha, I was hoping you’d say VT or NH, thank you though!

dominiquer60

It was probably a once in a life time trip for us, but they ship parts all the time. If you call looking for something don’t be afraid to ask for Tim, the son tries, but Tim knows his inventory best.

Mac
    Participant

Heat the points cherry red in a forge and beat ’em back out sharp. I do all mine. Plow points and harrow teeth too. Makes ’em cut better and pull a heckuva lot easier.

Mac

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.