sheep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

Who here has them?? I have been wanting A few to keep the grass down, I Am thinking Soay sheep. And A few Ewes from A meat breed to get Butcher lambs. Any ideas as to A decent meat type cross to get???? Thanks.

Rod
    Participant

Hi James

I have been following your posts for a while and do not have anything to add about the trucking but have been a beekeeper for 40 years and also have raised sheep for market lambs.
    All these enterprises have a learning segment which if you are like me is where you can make all your mistakes which usually usually means costs and frustrations. Lamb taste varies with the breed, the coarse wool breeds usually have less of the oiley taste. I think a commercal lamb with some Dorset in may be a good start and I would suggest buying some weaned lambs to start. Parasites are a major issue with sheep but usually not as bad the first year on new pasture. You need to be in shape to manhandle the lambs for worming etc. and with your back issues is something to think about.
    Bees also have a big same learning curve and it’s best to start out small to keep the mistakes from overwhelming you. Buying few good nukes in the spring and setting up in a good honey flow area can yeild you a decent honey crop which at retail can be profitable. Wholesale is hard to justify because of the low prices. Sometimes you can sell direct to small stores at a better price but a farmers market or sign at your house will bring the best price. I get $5 a lb. this way. Bee have thier problems the biggest ones of which are mites and colony collapse. What a good start up senerio can be is to buy nukes in the spring and taking all the honey in the fall. Pollonators want strong hives and moving them is very physical, and they need to be moved often and at night. The honey stuff needs a way to extract, clean and bottle the product which usually involves a honey processing house and then thier is the equipment issue. Used equipment is not a good idea because it often has disease spores etc in the combs which can lead to a hive disaster.
    I hate to be so discouraging because but the worst is to invest in something without having open eyes and then having to deal with the train wreck after the fact. I have always found that the best enterprise to work at when you need the money to live on is work at something you know. From that platform then you can try something new part time and learn as you go.
    Good luck.

CRTreeDude
    Participant

We have a small flock (that is growing) of about 20. We use them to eat the grass between the trees. It works well. I don’t remember the breed.

James
    Participant

As far As sheep go. I’ll be having Help to tend them, I hope to be able to get the Property ready for them in A month or so. I remember the old Adage good fences make good neighbors. And this time. I’ll have Help that will work. I had goats A few years back, The hired help ,Thought all he had to do was make sure they had feed & water. They got out ,His Worthless wife called me, When I was in California to get home and catch them, She then told me her Husband ONLY had to feed & water them, No other work such as the fences or care of the young. My brother got him straight real quick, And then sold the flock.. I Am wanting them for a freezer lamb a couple times A year. and to have A few to sell to offset the Taxes!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.