Shelter Collapse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lisa
    Participant

Oy. We had quite the disaster on the shelter that was housing our three Percherons late last night. It’s been snowing madly all winter, and then yesterday it turned to rain, creating heavy wet snow on top of our three-sided shelter. We are so lucky none of them were hurt — the thing just collapsed.

2263927824_c1d6b81646_m.jpg

I don’t have anywhere else to keep them, so I’m calling around this morning looking for a place to board them. It’s all so expensive. I think I’m still in shock. There’s no way to use them if I have to board them 40 miles away, which is the closest I can find. I just don’t see how we can rebuild someplace for them before spring. We’ve got 3 foot of snow on the ground.

It’s really weird when you have an emergency like that. I mean, who do you call? 911 sure isn’t going to help.

I feel so lucky that they managed to get out. Not a scratch on any of them.

But I can’t help think that maybe we should just sell them. I am trying not to make any decisions today, but it’s all so expensive. We just bought a logging arch and haven’t even used it yet, and now I have to board them so far away, so that seems like another waste of money.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Jean
    Participant

Tractor supply has horse shelters that are made out of something like tarps. They are inexpensive and you could put them up right on the snow. You would have to attach it to a fence or something until the ground is bare, but it might work. I know in Rutland VT they have them for less than $300. I bought a wood shed that is the same product, only it has flaps on the front and back so it can be closed. Took us 1/2 to set it up. The horse shelter would take less time I think because it does not have the flaps on it.

Don’t give up. My percheron is happy to be out 24/7. She has a shelter, but hardly ever uses it.

Jean

J-L
    Participant

Lucky stroke no one was hurt. I don’t put any of my animals in a shed. My riding horses usually winter out on range without feed unless it’s not blown off enough to get to the grass or if the snow is too crusty and deep. They will get along fine for a while I’m sure. You might have to feed a little extra if you get a cold snap.

Frank
    Participant

How does the Tractor Supply shelter do with snow load? You had the same storm we did on Wednesday.

The TSC shelter has four ribs. I know that Farmtek sells four rib 20 ft shelters to its’ southern customers but strongly recommends seven ribs in snow country.

Jean
    Participant

So far so good this winter with the snow load on the wood shed shelter from Tractor Supply. I was nervous early on, and cleaned the snow off, which actually is pretty easy to do from the inside. It is a dome shape, so it falls off pretty easy. I did not get a chance to clean it off with the last storm, which left us with snow and ice. It has all come off by itself now.

I think the one we have is only 4 ribs.

Jean

Rod
    Participant

Well, add this to my last… I lost my dear sister to cancer last night and my 20×50′ metal dry hay barn went down today. My Flu turned out to pneumonia and my barn yard is like a glacier. Been a tough winter. (OOPS my last is on anouther thread. see “Perspective” in this same catagory)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.