Silvopasture webinar

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education Silvopasture webinar

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

Cornell University Cooperative Extension

ForestConnect Webinar Series Announcement

Anyone who has not previously registered [you only need to register once] can complete the registration via the WEBINARS link at http://www.ForestConnect.info Registration is quick and without cost. Registration ensures you receive notice of the specific link to participate, first come first served, in each monthly webinar.

February 17, 2010 – Silvopasture: Livestock options for woodland vegetation management and increased income. Presented by Brett Chedzoy, Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Schuyler County. In the modern era of invasive plants, high land ownership costs, and other challenges to healthy and sustainable woodlands, it is worth taking a look at controlled livestock grazing as an acceptable and valuable management tool in some northeastern woodlots. The purposeful and managed grazing of livestock in wooded areas, known as silvopasturing, differs from woodlot grazing of the past in that the frequency and intensity of the grazing is controlled to achieve the desired objectives. CFE Credits have been requested.

Scott G
    Participant

Joel,

The majority of pastures I have used had at least partial forest cover. Preferred for shelter…

The majority of federal grazing leases I have worked in the past or known of were forested. Great grass in those…

I don’t feel like an idiot and a lot of the ranchers I’ve worked with would probably take that personally.

If your statement reflects on root compaction = reduced stand growth potential and stem damage; that comes more from grazing pressure, too many head on an area, and not moving critters around to mitigate those issues.

Controlled grazing to keep understory in check can potentially benefit incremental growth.

Anytime we can integrate trees into agricultural practices without adversely affecting primary production/health I’m all for it.

You want to expand on your cordial comment?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.