Single Yoke Training

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Single Yoke Training

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Oxbow Farm
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a new bull calf that I’m hoping I can train into a usable single ox. I just finished a 4-inch yoke. He is pretty well halter trained at this point. I am still working on Get-up and Whoa.

Is it appropriate to just put the yoke on him and continue doing the command training or should the two things be separated initially? Work his commands and then tie him and put the yoke on till he gets more used to it. I can see an argument that the yoke will be a big distraction to his command training at least the first few times he has it on, but the yoke is the whole point of training him at all, so the sooner he get used to it the better? Would appreciate some thoughts.

I put a little effort into this yoke, and he won’t fit into it very long.

Star 4

verbal command training with yoke and without

they hear my verbal commands anytime, even when I enter their box I will tell them to “back”

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

The yoke itself will not bother him for long. Just put it on him and brush him a bit, go about your business and it will not be an issue. The actual pulling of things, even the introduction to tugs should come along a little slower, how much slower depends on his temperament. If he is jumpy you might want to just hang the tugs or chains next to him and let him get comfortable for a day or so, then when he shows little interest in them hang them on his yoke. When he seems comfortable, start moving a bit with them to get him accustomed to the sound of things dragging. Then drag a small branch. Be aware that multiple, simultaneous stressors could worry him, for instance pulling something for the first time and then crossing on to gravel where unfamiliar sounds can frighten him. Don’t put him in a position where the tugs will tangle in his feet. He is still learning to trust you, so demonstrate that you are trustworthy, but you don not need to baby him.

They are curious and hardwired to flee from things that frighten them so he will benefit from a stepwise approach, but it will not take too long, usually. Some cattle are really wound up tight, you will find out soon enough. If that is the case he may not be the best candidate for your first single. Stay calm and relaxed, if he senses that you are nervous and expecting trouble he will help you fulfill your expectations.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.