Size matching

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rod
    Participant

I am thinking about the possibility of finding a team mate for my 15.2 hand Molly mule and wondered how close in height they should be?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Rod, that depends on why you want them to be the same size. Since animals that are twice the size of each other can work together; think Maryrose and Donn, or a halflinger and a Percheron, there is no problem working animals that are not the same size. It is possible you want them to look a certain way. That is how most of us decide what to put with what.

J-L
    Participant

Rod, I agree with Donn about the size match (to be specific, not calling anyone an animal;)).
    I routinely work small mules and bigger mules. One of my favorite teams to work is my Ruthie mule (14 hands, 900lb) with La Fonda (15.2 hands, 1250). They travel close to the same rate and have a similar feel on the bridle.
    I have another little mule about Ruth’s size and weight, I work her with Ruth quite a lot but she’s a little more up on the bit and travels a little faster. Seems like I’m checking her back more.
    Much of the time a ‘match’ is more for the sake of looks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.