slitter/seeder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Here is some fotos of my latest creation. I had to do two threads as there wasnt room to post all the fotos on one.

jac
    Participant

The seeder was actualy built last year and I intened to use with hydraulics but because of the old financial constraints I couldnt afford the development… Anyway.. the frame is made of 2″x2″ box, all the brackets and angle cut plates you see are profile cut by my steel supplier. The black lifting frame is 1″and haf by 3″ with a 3″ round tube at the front. The idea behind the cranked drawbar was if I got into a tight corner I could jack knife the hitch round without the cart wheels hitting the drawbar. Seeder box on top is one half of an old grass seed box made in Aberdeen around 1930. The metering wheel for that is actually off at the moment because I used old binder wheel bearings and they dont keep the dirt out so well. Im changing them for sealed bearings. A v belt takes the drive up to a pulley on the end of the seeder. When I lift the seeder at the end it stops the seed.My lifting gear for the main machine is a rope and pulley system… and yes, its “new england” climbing rope.. the rope has lost its stretch and besides Im too old now to be climbing tree’s.. leave that to the young bucks:D.. Anyway..the foto you see is just a rough trial to see if it works. Any thoughts on how to improve would be appreciated..It is quite heavy and I can lift it not too bad.. just shows that a lot of machines could be used without hydraulics.. besides I dont see why the team cant stand for a couple of minuts at the end of each pass and let me do a bit of work for a change.. I used the machine last year behind my 1950s Fordson and had planned to have hydraulics on the fore cart this year..

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

John: Looks good. Can you change the gang angle if you want to do a little more soil loosening? What are you seeding with it? How often do you go over your pastures with it?

jac
    Participant

Hi Tim.. Unfortunatly I didnt make it with the angle option. wish I had now.. Its just a grass seed box and Im not actually seeding in the fotos. The seeder just dribbles the seed out and it falls loose. Last year we went over the pasture 3 times during the season and did notice a big improvement regards surface water .Acouple of areas even had moss but because we let the air in I think it helped that too, no moss now at all. I convinced myself the grass grew better too but mabey that was wishfull thinking..

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

You tool would improve infiltration and loosen soil for better seed to soil contact. We would be seeding overseeding red clover or ladino clover right about now and it would work great for that. How deep do the tines run?

jac
    Participant

They can go to a max of 7″. Do you think a small tank and a dribble bar would work on top in place of the seed box, if I collected the runoff from my manure heap that I let cook for 2 yrs. I know it would mean a few refills but when your not burning diesel who cares ? I got that idea from the web site you sent me about your work..
    John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

A tank would add quite a bit of weight. From my work I know that for pasture restoration the new seedlings will become established in the soil loosened by the aeration tines. And cover crops at least really like the nutrient kick that manure provides. Does it pull hard?

jac
    Participant

It pulls really easy. The two mares walked away with it no problem, even doing slight turns posed no problems.. Using 3 up would be an option. I might look into modifying it for next year to adjust the gangs. It only has 36 blades as opposed to the tractor normal of 72 but then the penetration isnt so good with 72 unless its ballasted up.
    John

mitchmaine
    Participant

nice rig, jon. looks well built. wondering if the wheels could exist as a frame and could support other tools as well. harrows and cultivators, say. interchangeable parts. they would have to be easily changeable and that might be a trick. but i really like your rig. doesn’t look like it should offer much resisitance. oh, by the way, beautiful countryside!!!

jac
    Participant

Mitch its funny you should say that because after being involved in the “new pioneer equipment” discussion that thought seemed as plain as my nose… always the way with hindsight but I wasnt in DAP when I was welding it together:rolleyes:. That particular machine would take a bit of modifying but the lifting frame idea could be used with a lot of stuff, and its surprisingly easy to lift. A cultivator bar would be lighter than those rollers. With a cultivator for example a steering axle could go on the drawbar and eliminate the fore cart. I thought about doing that with this but if the knife hits a boulder I’d get bounced out the seat. The scenery is pretty cool. I’ll try and post some on the gallery. The sunsets are amazing as the sun heads your way over the top of the island of Arran.. That scene with the horses and seeder is looking south east.
    John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

John: You got any Ayrshire dairy cattle up your way?

jac
    Participant

Not so many nowadays Tim.. the traditional Ayrshire is all but gone.. the ones over here are huge. I take it that must be the Holstein blood. most of the big dairies still have a few Ayrshires just to improve the butterfat I suspect. I personaly think they are still the most efficient converters of grass to milk.. How about your side ? are they popular ?
    John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Not around me, almost all Holsteins although the graziers are interested in smaller framed animals and have an interest in cross-breeding so their may be some interest. There may be a few herds in other states such as PA., WI or NY that seem to have more smaller herds and a tradition of showing purebred cattle. I wouldn’t mind getting a pair if I could find some nice ones.

Marshall
    Participant

John, I think you did a great job. Do you just pull the rope to lift it or is it hooked to the ratcheting lever on the side of your forecart? It looks to be strong but fairly light. I have a tendancy to build things heavier than they need to be. I will second the vote for beautiful scenery and add that it is a nice team also.

jac
    Participant

Hi marshall.. Thanks for that, I dicided to just use the rope, two good pulls and the machine is up to full height. Im now going to finish off the linkage and paint also make a proper rope holder for the hitchcart….
    John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.