Snow plows, scoops and rollers

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Snow plows, scoops and rollers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum and new to draft power–
    My family and I are in the process of purchasing a house with ~100 acres near Tunbridge VT. The area has about 5 acres of cleared land. Our hope is to clear another ~20 acres over the next few years after working out a forestry plan with our local forester. We are interested in working with draft animals– have been to a few demos and reading all we can. We are primarily interested in Oxen or possibly Mammoth Jackstock. My question is this– the new house has a ~ 0.7 mile driveway– what draft powered options are available for plowing? Also any opinions about what type of draft animal would be best for this? I have horse experience in my distant past (riding not driving). The appeal of oxen for me is the simplicity of equipment involved and their docile temperments. That said, we are interested in raising heritage and endangered animals. For this reason, Jackstock are appealing. I’d appreciate thoughts, resources etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

sdesocio
    Participant

Hi Michael, and welcome to the forum. I am bless, or cursed, with a house near the road and havent made use of any snow plowing equipment.

The two paths I know:
    1. If you’re getting a forecart, pioneer sells an angled plow pulled behind the cart.
    2. There are lots of examples around the web of what is often called a V plow. Basically, a few 2x8s cobbled together.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.