sold Ethel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

For some time I have been saying I would keep younger animals and let them go as they approached 15 y/o or so. Of course it is easy to say until it is time to let a good animal go. Ethel is seventeen, and she has been the second best animal I have ever had, ( the first being George’s mother, Kelly).

This year she has been a spare animal as I started a fifth animal later this summer. She was lame with an abcess in July, but her hoof has regrown well with extra attention. She has had ring bone for a number of years, and is just a half step slower than the rest of the crew. There is nothing that feels worse than asking such an honest worker to “step up” to keep up with the others. Other than that she is healthy and sound.

She left today to go back to the woman I bought her from, for almost as much as I paid six years ago. She will drive her with another old horse once in a while, but mostly she will be in retirement.

I will save a little hay this winter and in the spring I can look at some options.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I hope one of them is the Suffolk cross baby you have in the oven there Donn…

Chad Vogel made it SDAD, so good to see him and of course putting him to any tasks that arose was comforting. Maybe next year we’ll get you down.

We did have several notables from NE, including Jay and Janet Bailey and John Hammond. I think they enjoyed the invitational horse pull.

Chad Miano’s Suffolk’s won it, which wasn’t a surprise to those that knew the teams. But we were all impressed by Farmer Brown’s team splitting last years 1st and 2nd (Richard Redifer’s Percheron’s) place pairs with his good Belgians. It was fun… I just announced the pull and had a blast.

Best Regards,

Jason Rutledge

More info here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DRAFTWOOD-Forest-Products-Ridgewind-Suffolk-Horses-Private-Instruction/175693628452?ref=ts#!/pages/Healing-Harvest-Forest-Foundation/78433801030?ref=mf

grey
    Participant

@Donn Hewes 21086 wrote:

There is nothing that feels worse than asking such an honest worker to “step up” to keep up with the others.

Ack. That tugs at the heartstrings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.