Sonny and Max of Martha's Vineyard

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dominiquer60

A video about Draft Power on the Vineyard. ~45 minutes

daniel grover
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for sharing this, Erika! I lived and worked at a farm non-profit on the Vineyard for a couple of summers. I knew a guy there named Dicky Brown who I think was involved with draft power–does anyone know anything about him?

Sullivan
    Participant

Unfortunately Sonny died last spring and Max about a month ago. That being said, Bruce purchased Duke (18.3 black Percheron) last year and Willy (19.1 black Percheron 2yo) this year and has already gotten Willy somewhat comfortable in harness and plowing snow while Duke has taken to working in the woods like a duck to water. He is truly a talented horseman and I am lucky to be able to learn from him.

The Vineyard is lucky to have such a rich draft horse culture. I can think of seven draft horse owners on the island and several more who no longer have horses but still have stories, harness, and implements, this in the span of six small towns. Unfortunately only two or so work their horses doing any kind of farming or logging as far as I know.

Dickey sold his horses just a few years ago but I think he had 4 Suffolks, a mare and her filly and a team of geldings. The mares are owned by a member of the ECHDA and I do not know where the geldings are.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.