Sour or Stiff?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Billy Foster
    Participant

I have a rookie question, I think I know the answer..BUT
    I have been clipping a fairly large pasture with my Haflinger team for the last week (engine powered rotary mower not sickle bar). Because I only usually work them a couple times a week and it has been in the low 80s while they are working, I only have been mowing for 2 to 3 hours a day every other day. Yesterday when we were leaving to mow again they were walking very slowly down the road to get to the field. It was slow enough that I was paying particulate attention to see if their was a problem. I though several times about turning around and going back but decided to see if they perked up. It took about a half hour or so for them to get back to performing as they normally do. After mowing for 3 hours they were fine to trot the half mile dirt road home. It would appear that they were a little tired of the routine and possibly a little stiff in the beginning.
    What are peoples opinions/thoughts about this situation. I want them to know if there is work that their dragging their feet is not going to stop anything. I am fine letting them warm up before work but want to be sensitive to over working them as well. What kind of “rules of thumb” do you use in regards to how long to work, when to rest, when not to work.
    Billy Foster

Billy Foster
    Participant

It looks like we have more hot weather coming so they will get a few days off any way. I still would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts

Billy

Carl Russell

@Billy Foster 35844 wrote:

….. Yesterday when we were leaving to mow again they were walking very slowly down the road to get to the field. It was slow enough that I was paying particulate attention to see if their was a problem. I though several times about turning around and going back but decided to see if they perked up. It took about a half hour or so for them to get back to performing as they normally do. After mowing for 3 hours they were fine to trot the half mile dirt road home. It would appear that they were a little tired of the routine and possibly a little stiff in the beginning.
    ….

Billy, there have been times that I have noticed a distinct change in movement like you describe, and early on I wondered if there was something wrong…… However now (assuming it is the same…… I don’t want to discount your concern in case there is something wrong, but since both animals seem to be in coordination I will make my comment) I tend to recognize this as the horses becoming relaxed with the routine. I know that there are times when I expect a snappy gait, or significant exertion, but I have come to appreciate those times when my horses are just calmly walking.

Sometimes when we get used to a certain behavior it seems as though any break from that may be abnormal. If you can have a pair that walks along at an easy pace, what could be wrong with that?…… especially in really hot weather.

I also have been mowing with a tag-along DR brush mower, and I find that it can be difficult to manage the horses exertion to match the heat. They tend to want to work harder than they need to. In the woods it is the same way. But when I catch them voluntarily walking easily, I tend to reward them, and try to extend that as far as I can.

I see horses that get warmed up, and perhaps a bit tired, try harder, which can exacerbate the problem, making them hotter and more tired. So even though it is nice to have a snappy working gait, it may also be their way of rising to the challenge, and some more guidance from you might get them to walk more calmly during work.

If they walk like that again next time, try to see if resting them more often while working will extend the period, it is what I do.

Of course you may not like that gait, and of course there may be something seriously wrong with joints or muscles, so you should make sure that you are not making things worse. And certainly don’t let them get away with lolli-gagging their way out of a task.

Carl

Billy Foster
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts Carl. Concerning the heat, I am seeing the harder working horse performing as you say, working harder and getting hotter as we go. When we are at the point where I decide he is getting to hot, and it is time to call it a day, I am hardly able to keep the two in latteral alignment. Next time I will watch him more closly and perhaps give more breaks earlier on. Do you ever water them out in the field, i.e., bring a bucket of water with you?

Billy

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi billy, i haven’t used a rotary mower with a team, but imagine it could be a bit of a job for them. we have a lot of hay this year, and its starting to dry out a little and a little harder mowing. my horses are having to step into it a bit, forcing the mower, and i have snapped two pitman rods this year, one at the bearing at the wrist pin. the bottom of the bar isn’t even polished yet.
    i was wondering, when your team started out a little slow that third day, how fast they might go if you turned them back to the barn? if they picked up a little, i might not be to worried about their health. like carl, the moderate team is the one i like. they have reserve when you need the extra, and mowing and cultivating can be a pleasure with a deliberate team. you might find they stand pretty good after a few days regular work. mitch

Billy Foster
    Participant

Mitch I think if I had turned them home they would have picked it up. I got them out early Sunday AM to get a little work done before it got to hot out. I was paying particulate attention to their attitude and how hot they got. As soon as the sun broke above the tree line the temp started climbing and we called it a day. I noticed a few things Sunday morning. They were slow going down the road and were a little anxious about getting back into the field, i.e., a little head flipping and hitchy. After a pass or 2 they were getting used to the work and were not much of a problem. Every time we passed the entrance to the field they would get “unorganized” and slow down. I think the work we have been doing lately has been uncomfortable on them and what I am seeing is there “dragging their feet” but going to work . I made a few more passes but ended the work before it got to hot. I tied to head home before they were really hot and tired. Thanks Carl and Mitch.
    Billy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.