Speading Manure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

Now that I have seen some video and have read some posts, I have a question. I have a small farm and deal mostly with horses and chickens. My main goals are to compost and spread manure (later to do some forestry work). I’m working on a manure shed this summer. Next project is a spreader. I would like to do this with my belgian, if possible. So a.) where do I find such a spreader? and b.) can one horse handle the load? Thanks. Jennifer.

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

Spreaders come in all sizes. Most Ground Drive spreaders designed for horse teams seem to be in the 75 to 125 bushel capacity range. There are 25 and 50 bushel spreaders that a Belgian ought to be able to handle without too much difficulty. Millcreek and Pequea both make small GD spreaders available new ($) and I’ve seen them at auctions. I’m sure there are lots of makes of old ones no longer manufactured.
    As to your adaptation question, a newer GD spreader not designed for horses can be used with a forecart with no further adaptation, a PTO spreader would need a PTO cart. There are enough GD spreaders that if you aren’t interested in a PTO cart then hold out for a GD spreader, as converting a PTO spreader to GD seems like a serious project. It seems like there are a lot of folks with riding horses and large lawn tractors creating a market for the 25 to 50 bushel range GD spreaders (they are small, so can be backed into the barn for easy loading, and can be pulled by an ATV or large lawn tractor)
    Also, a larger capacity spreader doesn’t need to be filled to capacity, meaning you can adjust the load to fit the horse (to some extent).
    -Tevis

jen judkins
    Participant

Thanks, Tevis…that was very helpful. Another question…..with a PTO forecart…what drives the PTO? Sorry…..I’m really in new territory here. Jennifer.

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

Two options with a PTO cart – Ground Drive and Engine. I&J just came out with a nice new GD one, with a chain drive from the wheel to gears to PTO with two speeds, it’s the only manufactured one currently available that I know of, but I’ve seen pictures of several different home made versions. With an engine model, there’s a gas or diesel engine sitting on the cart next to you – which most horse farmers aren’t so into. Pioneer, I&J, White Horse, and others make them. For that to make sense you would probably need to have other PTO equipment that you wanted to use to justify it, as the PTO carts cost a bit more and a GD spreader usually costs less than a PTO one.
    -Tevis

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with, or even just seen, one of the Lancaster spreaders sold by Mascot Sharpening?
    Thanks,

Mark

LaNette
    Participant

I have a 25 bushel manure spreader I pull with my single draft cross. I got it shipped from Mascot. Their accent is very different from mine so it took us awhile for us to understand each other but they were easy and professional to work with. It works well and the beaters are more heavy duty than the beaters you get off of the build it yourself kit types. Pulls good too. I’m suppose to keep the chains oiled better than I do but I don’t. Still works fine. Spreads decent enough for what I need. I use the rubber tires as its all rocks out here.

LaNette

jen judkins
    Participant

Thanks, LaNette…I’ll check that out. Jennifer

jen judkins
    Participant

LaNette, I couldn’t find anything on Mascot spreaders…do you have any contact info or website? Jennifer.

PS. I hate to wait till sept.

Rod
    Participant
    LaNette
    Participant

Here’s the contact number for Mascot Sharpening: 717-656-6486 ext 1. This is a father/son operation. The do not have a web site and you will have to call them to get a brochure, price list, and place an order. Or you can see their advertisements in any issue of Rural Heritage magazine. Calling them early in the morning seems to be the best time to contact them. Also, I would advise you to not call them on Sunday. With a little give and take you can get your item shipped fairly close to you. Rod posted a link to an e-bay spreader. The green one is exactly like mine.

One more thought, I hook the spreader by myself. When empty, pulling the spreader to my forecart is no big problem, but when load down, its a back breaker to lift and move forward (because you are bending down in an awkward position). I have a jack lift on the tongue and simply back the forecart to the pin holes. So don’t skimp on the jack.

LaNette

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.