Splitting Rails

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    CanoeTomah
    Participant

We are clearing out some old twitch trails on our property in the hopes to have a carriage path circling the perimeter someday.  The weather cooperated this morning everything was frozen up solid. Clearing the old twitch trails out is mainly a matter of pulling brush.  We take what is big enough for firewood and move the brush off to the side.  While doing this today my son and I came upon some old cedar lying across the trail.  Big log looked like it had been laying there for 20 years or more… very mossy and in a wet run.  Surprised when I cut into it was mainly solid.   Some sections were rotten/punky but a lot was good.  Later on we found one that had fallen so it was off the ground and it all appears to be in good shape.   We had been talking about building a split rail fence to keep the horses off the lawn.

I sent the lad back to the barn to get the iron wedges and wooden gluts.  Attached are some pics of Tess the little but handy Lippitt Morgan and our first log split into rails.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    carl ny
    Participant

I use to ride the horse when I was skidding.saves a lot of walking or running. LOL

carl ny

PS; Maybe that’s why I’m a little fat now…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.