Stall tie up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rod
    Participant

How do folks tie up horses in tie stalls? I am building some inside stalls for mine and would like some advice as to the tie setup. By that I mean how much lead, is it tied hi or low, centered in the stall or to the side etc. Thanks.

blue80
    Participant

We use chain, centered in the stall.
    The stalls are 4’6 wide; I know some draft stalls are 5 ft… We cut pieces of chain 3 ft. long. We give them 2’6 of chain as a lead inside the stall. The chain goes through a hole in the front of the stall (2’6 up from the floor) and the remainder is tied with wire into a ball, creating a bit of weight on the end of the chain, which takes up slack, especially if the hole is drilled on a bit of an angle….
    Basically the horses can touch noses and thats it, sidewalls are 4ft.
    We feed off the floor, no manger.
    Want pics? they aren’t pretty…..:o

Kevin

Rod
    Participant

@blue80 22889 wrote:

We use chain, centered in the stall.
    The stalls are 4’6 wide; I know some draft stalls are 5 ft… We cut pieces of chain 3 ft. long. We give them 2’6 of chain as a lead inside the stall. The chain goes through a hole in the front of the stall (2’6 up from the floor) and the remainder is tied with wire into a ball, creating a bit of weight on the end of the chain, which takes up slack, especially if the hole is drilled on a bit of an angle….
    Basically the horses can touch noses and thats it, sidewalls are 4ft.
    We feed off the floor, no manger.
    Want pics? they aren’t pretty…..:o

Kevin

Hi Kevin

If it’s not too much trouble I would like to see a picture, especially of the ball weight setup. Thanks.

blue80
    Participant

Used 3 by 12 doug fir for the sidewalls, 2 by 6 t and g decking for the front wall.
    Kindof made them modular with materials at hand, to be able to re/move them easily, and they sit on radiant heat concrete floor so I wanted some mass without fixing them down to the concrete….We’ve got a lot of young and green horses and mostly use the stalls for the odd overnight, training, trimming in the evenings, and harnessing, and cool down; I wanted to try and keep the back ends open so its easy to bring in mulitple green horses on ropes without having to mess with getting around full height posts at the back of the stalls.
    To keep the horses from putting a lot of pressure and turning in the stalls, I put a trainer on the sidewalls; upside down U with lag bolts out the sides. They teach themselves pressure and release quite quickly…..Two new big wild 8 yr old percherons are here for training, the buddy sour one in the picture is tied short with a rope, and kept company by a couple fillys. I screwed a board at the back of the stalls to tie the sidewalls together so he can’t tear things up….

Planned to put a hayloft above but who knows…..

Rod
    Participant

Thanks for the photos, that training board is a neat idea.

mink
    Participant

hi blue, just wondering how hanging the harness and collars on the back of the stalls works out for you? i got leather harness thats heavy as hell, looks like that might be better than carrying them from the other side of barn. they ever end up on the floor in the morning? mink

blue80
    Participant

I tried on the back of the stalls kindof skeptical, but with an 8 ft stall and a wood curb at the back, the harness is not being kicked off, nor messed upon to date. Of the few harness storing configurations I’ve tried, I am liking this the best so far.
    The horses also seem to back very carefully and stay centered when they back out, which is nice. Hate it when they get into the habit of trying to run backout of their stalls….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.