starting in sheep

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

The ‘Ll’ bit is a difficult sound to write, it’s definately not pronounced ‘Lelins’ as I have heard it said! – can only describe it as far as I understand (not being a Welsh speaker). It’s pronounced somewhere between ‘Hlin’ and ‘Klin’, a combinationation between the two – perhaps ‘Hlin’ is the closest one can get to writing it phonetically.
    Ask the breeder when you visit him! Apologies any Welsh speakers if I’m off the mark!
    Good luck, Ed

mother katherine
    Participant

Lleyns! Ab acquaintance of mine of Welsh descent first told me about them. She wanted some, but, I guess, there are none in the US.
    I’ll be interested to hear how they work out for you.
    oxnun

Marshall
    Participant

I would also like to know how they work out if that is what you get. In a couple years I would like to start a peach orchard. I think sheep would work well to keep the grass mowed. One less job for me!

clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

Hi Marshall,

I believe Shropshire’s are the best sheep for orchards, they supposedly damage the trees less than other breeds.

There’s an American Shropshire society http://www.shropshires.org/index.html

On the British site there’s a whole page on Shropshires and their advantages in pine plantations and Orchards
    http://www.shropshire-sheep.co.uk/
    Click on the link to ‘Sheep in trees’

Regards, Ed

Marshall
    Participant

Ed, Thanks for the info. I am definitly going to check them out.

FELLMAN
    Participant

Hi jac, i have a small flock of 70 romneys and would defo recomend them to you they exellent sheep, if you want to do something with the wool these are the breed for you i could even give you a fleece or two to get you going straight away,i could do you a good deal on a few sheep if you want seen as you have hepled me with my harness.

jac
    Participant

Hi … sorry I been so long replying but was in Oxfordshire for a while driving a combine. Thanks for the kind offer and I’ll give you a call soon once we get all the wee jobs caught up with.. hows that mare comming on.. best regards .
    John

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

Hi Caitlin,

We keep our sheep without feed or chemical wormers/insecticides and so on. They lamb themselves and we rarely have lameness issues, yet trim just once a year. We currently have Kerry Hills which are good all rounders – nice wool, plenty of meat and not bad on milk yield either. We also have Wensleydales which are significantly more docile and have much higher value wool, but need a long time to make a decent amount of meat. We also cross the two for a meatier sheep with better wool than a kerry.

Preparing your own fleece for spinning is very time consuming and a labour of love. If you want it spun at a mill, even in ‘small quantities’ you’ll need maybe 20 raw kilos minimum.

What will be more important than breed though is how they have been brought up – kerry hills from breeders who feed a lot fo grain and baby them have flaked under our system, even though they are the same breed. You might get some casulaties untily our flock is acclimatised to how you want them to be, unless you can find a breeder with the same principles as you. Feel free to visit and we can take you through our way of doing it!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.