Steel pole for forecart

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m building a forecart from the rear axle of a steel wagon gear. The original coupling pole is 2” I.D. 1/8th ” wall. I’d like to know how much I can down size this to reduce the weight on the collars and still have a pole that won’t get all bent up.

Thanks in advance!!!

near horse
    Participant

Hi Dave,

I have a cart w/ a pole similar to yours but the cart also has a 3rd wheel in the front – kind of a crazy wheel. That said, if you don’t want to use a third wheel one option is to make sure your seat puts your weight behind the axle to counterbalance the tongue weight (look at how mowers or even Pioneer carts are set up). IMHO – I wouldn’t want to downsize the tongue.

jac
    Participant

I second George on that Dave. at the sizes you mention your hitch cart will need to be well balanced and if you can get it right there shouldn be much weight on the collars.. I have a 3 wheeler also… a blatant copy of Lynn Millers..
    John

near horse
    Participant

@jac 21180 wrote:

I second George on that Dave. at the sizes you mention your hitch cart will need to be well balanced and if you can get it right there shouldn be much weight on the collars.. I have a 3 wheeler also… a blatant copy of Lynn Millers..
    John

Hey John – BTW That’s “Geoff” :confused:

jac
    Participant

Crap !!!! sorry Geoff.. need to read twice and type once:o…
    John

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Geoff, John, and”George”. I had full intentions of building a 3 wheeler but I have had the opportunity to ride on one and it was an awful rough ride in the field. It seemed the small wheel in front amplified every bump it hit. It would be great to hear what outhers prefer – 2wheels or 3.

near horse
    Participant

I agree with the bumpy ride comment. Especially since I don’t have suspension on my cart (no springs) either. Probably the smoothest riding cart I’ve used was a 4 wheel design with leaf springs AND a spring seat.

jac
    Participant

Yep they can be a bit bumpy. I made the hitch point on mine with holes in a plate over about 10″. this way I can alter the hitch point up or down depending on whats on the back and can have the front wheel slightly light on the ground… not perfect but it helps a little. I like the 3 wheeler for getting youngsters going.
    John

mitchmaine
    Participant

@Dave G 21192 wrote:

Thanks Geoff, John, and”George”. I had full intentions of building a 3 wheeler but I have had the opportunity to ride on one and it was an awful rough ride in the field. It seemed the small wheel in front amplified every bump it hit. It would be great to hear what outhers prefer – 2wheels or 3.

hi dave, if i remember right, it seemed lynn millers forecart had a pretty good sized caster wheel. and i’m wondering if the size of that wheel might smooth out the ride. i’ve also never ridden on a three wheeled cart so take it with a grain of salt. mitch

J-L
    Participant

I say keep your tongue stout enough. Every time I thought I was doing a favor to my horses/mules by lightening the tongue, it got bent or broke.
    With the 3 wheel cart, use a bigger, softer wheel in front. I rode on a haywagon in Idaho with 3 wheel set up. It rode just fine, even across corrigated alfalfa fields. Very stable also. I was told the key to stability was to put the pivot point high enough above the deck.
    Geoff (aka George), how do you like your 3 wheel cart by the way?

jac
    Participant

:D.. funny guys… even Napoleon cocked up;)….
    John

grey
    Participant

@jac 21198 wrote:

:D.. funny guys… even Napoleon cocked up;)….
    John

Yeah, but nobody forgot THAT one, either! :p

jac
    Participant

@grey 21201 wrote:

Yeah, but nobody forgot THAT one, either! :p

Hahaha ok fair comment.. had a senior moment…now where did I put my glasses ???:D…
    John

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.