Step Towards a draft power class at UWRF

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming Step Towards a draft power class at UWRF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    gwpoky
    Participant

Very exciting! I just got an email back from the head of the Animal Science department at the University of Wisconsin River Falls and he was very interested in my proposal to offer a practical draft animal power short course. We have a meeting set for next Wednesday, I need my ducks in a row. I proposed a class that would introduce students to the possibilities of using draft power as a source of traction on the modern small farm so the current “ruff” outline includes: Why use animal power, farm management for the use of animal power, animal options, safety, harnesses and harnessing, hitching and basic driving, and equipment options. This class will be meant to introduce students to the option of using animal power, not to make them expert teamsters. I want to give them a taste and then suggest further training and/or internships if they would choose to explore this options further. I am looking to this community for further suggestions of topics that you think should be addressed/included in a 101 class like this.

I am excited to get type of program into a mainstream ag school because I know many students that would love to farm, but see it as financially unattainable with today’s get big or get out attitude. As you all know many students/people don’t even think of the use of animal power as an options in “modern ag” and I hope this will give some the option.

Thank you.

Carl Russell

George, I think you are right on. The topic is so deep and multi-dimensional that I also subscribe to the “If this makes sense then you can come visit me at my farm, or I may know some other folks who can give you more in-depth training” philosophy. It served us well at NEAPFD, and I continue to use that strategy. Also don’t shy away from dropping hints that the school could engage you for externships, or off-campus credit programs.

I think that we should all be paying attention to these opportunities, and continue to network among ourselves around this type of initiative. If we connect the dots between Vermont, Wisconsin, California, Maine, Virginia, etc, where each of us are starting to make these types of in-roads then we can build on each other’s work and build a better resource base to build this community.

Sounds great, and good luck, Carl

j.l.holt
    Participant

Don’t forget to hit the high spots of hoof care. And the emportance of a good farrier and regular service. Might contact a farrier and have him do a hands on demo. At the least, clean the feet every morning and night .

Good luck

gwpoky
    Participant

j.l.holt,

I am a certified farrier by trade and also co-teach the farrier science short course at this collage, so hoof care is high on my agenda. 🙂 This is how I got my foot in the door for this class proposal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let me know how this goes, I teach a sustainable Ag course at a local college and we are trying to get a certificate program started. I am really trying to push for some draft work but not sure how to fit it into the curriculum. Right now the only drafts are the interns and students…

Good Luck

Jared

blue80
    Participant

That sounds like fun George. Lots of students who never considered draft power as a viable option will now have the benefit of making informed choices regarding the matter.

It is amazing to me sometimes how contrasting goals are evident throughout different regions of the country. For instance, I contacted our local ag/equine specialty school awhile ago, and they responded they have had no interest or willingness to pursue draft animal power demos or sustainable farming options at this time. We’ll try again this and next year….

j.l.holt
    Participant

@gwpoky 40356 wrote:

j.l.holt,

I am a certified farrier by trade and also co-teach the farrier science short course at this collage, so hoof care is high on my agenda. 🙂 This is how I got my foot in the door for this class proposal.

Just though I would through that out there. There is a guy in my neck of the woods who logs everyday and does not shoe his horses. He can’t see that their feet are all belled out. They are Perchrons and their feet are bigger than Belgians. Says they do better with out shoes. He takes them to all the fairs and parades and even little old ladys from the city see the feet and know better. Some people just don’t see that it matters.

Eli
    Participant

That is awesome! I think you should include at least basic financial info. It is hard to get mainstream ag lenders on board with plans that are not convential. Some sound financial research would help with start up Unfortunately a passion for horses is not enough for the bank. I think about trying something like but don’t have the spark I had 20 years ago. Eli

PeytonM
    Participant

I send you a PM

gwpoky
    Participant

Had a great meeting with the Animal Science department head today, he had already mentioned the proposal to the dean and the dean was very excited about it. The head is going to try and offer the pilot course for next fall and then we get two years as a one credit outreach class to see how much interest we get. Very exciting.

PeytonM
    Participant

Another thing I was thinking of, I don’t want to really call it home made tools, but it is what it is I guess, the home made things that you’ve made for use around the farm. I have a pole that goes in to a steel 4×4 tube and its got a pipe on the end and then two braces and it acts as a quick tach pole for all my carts and I also have a sled I use it on. I have 30 bucks in to it if that and I find it nice for quick break down of wagons. makes it quick to go from one to another. I’m sure that we all have our own things I know the loggers have all kinds of things that they built to make things faster. Maybe that would be something that would step out of the basic idea and teaching you looking to give but I think the idea of being able to build your own equipment and save money.

Eli
    Participant

This makes me want to go back to school. I think hands on education is most interesting. Mabe a field trip to Amish country for some practical experance. Eli

PeytonM
    Participant

know this is kind of old but what ever happened?

gwpoky
    Participant

It got cancelled, but I had some students aproach me during my farrier class that they want the class and the head of the animal science department wants the class, we just need to advertize better.

PeytonM
    Participant

I know I talked with you about this on the phone a little bit but I forgot to ask if it would help students in any special degree’s or would it just be a class they could take like a work shop type deal for fun?

I know you work at UWRF but do you have any ties lets say with UWEC? or other UW around here that you could also pull students from those UW’s and kind of work together. I know that UWRF in really big horse school, I never knew that UWEC had any sort of horse stuff but apparently they have some hunter jumper riding team or something like that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.