Still troubleshooting haflingers…

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Training Working Animals Still troubleshooting haflingers…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    REisen Shine Farm
    Participant

So, we’ve really hit a wall with our haflinger team. Does anyone know of a teamster willing to come out to Copake where we are to help us work though some of our issues? We’ve tried a bunch of stuff from the forum, and have books/ and went to Sam Rich’s plow workshop (well, my wife did) but i think we really need some in person help. We’re going to email our draft club also to try and find someone.

Rod44
    Participant

What is wrong with them?

Rod44
    Participant

Never mind what is wrong, I found your previous posts.  The draft horse club sounds like your best bet.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I wish I was closer.  I am very busy and not really available for a trip.  I think you need to look at the over all situation.  As I suggested earlier, hoping to plow with animals that you are still trying to get going, still learning the ropes with; might be over eager.  You will need to afford your self some time for a learning curve.  get some logs, or better yet real fire wood to work with.  Go back and forth with each log.  This will teach you and them the basics.  These are some times made light of, but they are not to be over looked.  The animals either already know how to do these things or you are teaching them, but it doesn’t really matter which; because, like a substitute school teacher, they have to hear it from you.   Make them stand, make them turn, make them back, wait again while you hook, pull something, repeat.  This can be more difficult than it sounds and this is where you start.  Feel free to give me a call or PM if I can be of more help.  Donn  6078494442

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.