Stock Designs

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Goranson Farm
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Looking to build a set of stocks for the bay mares. Need to work on their feet but keep getting sat on by one and other might let a foot fly my way. Any recommendations when it comes to design and fabrication?

Thanks,

Carl

Will Stephens
    Participant

I remember seeing a drawing in an old Small Farmers Journal but I can seem to put my hand on it.

dominiquer60

Check Rural Heritage, they may have some plans around or for sale.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I have seen a couple for sale on VT craigslist in the past. In the mean time a quick homemade hoof jack might suffice. The kicker will have to be addressed before you strap her to a stock anyway. I have heard of that coming back to haunt some folks…

Jeroen
    Participant

Here are the plans of mine (dim are metric). Nowadays I have a roof over it. That way you can shoe while staying dry.
    Be sure you get the horses used and at ease in the stock before attaching and working on them. Took me a month before all was well.

side

front

berta

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Carl, I would like to humbly suggest that stocks are not necessarily the solution to your problems. When I started with my team I was drawn to the idea of stocks for the same reasons you are (i.e. my horses were terrible when working on their feet). Stocks seemed like a safe effective tool to get the job done. However, stocks do not address the underlying issues of trust and respect that lead some horses to resist working on their feet.

I would argue that comfortable, safe handling of your horses’ feet at all times in a variety of different environments is fundamental to safe, effective horsemanship. I can cannot count the times I have had trace chains wrapped – often tight – around legs and feet while working in the woods. Extricating the horse from those situations requires absolute comfort and trust in working with their legs / feet.

I used a round pen to get my horses comfortable with me working on their feet. I would work with them in the center of the pen with no halter or lead rope. I used a long “carrot stick” or whip and would use it to rub their legs and feet at a safe distance. My vision was for them to stand still and accept this little by little. If they took off or kicked I would send them for a jog around the pen. Then I would try again. Small steps, consistency, and patience along with relatively short sessions 15-20 minutes/day paid off. For me, the ultimately goal was being able to pick up all four feet and work on them for a few minutes at a time without the horse moving or resisting me. I would always try to reward the smallest tries by releasing the pressure on them. I don’t remember how long it took but they both became comfortable and accepting of me working on their feet. Irregardless of the outcome, those sessions in the round pen were time well spent getting to know my horses better and vice versa.

I hope this “advice” did not come across the wrong way. Ultimately, we need to do what works for our own situation with our horses.

Good luck.

George

Jeroen
    Participant

In my opinion George is absolutely right.

Mine can be shot without the stock easily. I am using it because I am not willing to take the strain on my back and I can do a better job when they are in the stock.

Goranson Farm
    Participant

I really appreciate the perspectives. I would much prefer to trim these horses freestanding. The were originally trimmed in stocks and their feet were not handled regularly so it has proven to be an uphill climb. I will never buy a horse that cannot be trimmed freestanding again. I do need to trim their feet ASAP. When I had more time I was able to work the kicker regularly in the round pen I could pick up her feet but never got her to the point I could trim or ask others to trim her. I simply don’t trust her. While her attitude towards me has improved dramatically there continue to be “tense” moments. I have had to start from scratch with this mare with a very limited amount of time to dedicate to it. I’d say Princess is a challenging mare to learn on as the stakes are so freaking high (she could kill me). I wish I could find a way to center the farm around the horses. But as I’m attempting to integrate them into an existing system they often take the back seat.
    I was told they were “trained” to stocks. I was thinking it may allow me trim regularly and proceed with some needed foot care. I hope to continue training them to pick up their feet as the winter rolls in. But based on the long list of carpentry projects and equipment repairs I’m a little nervous I wont have the time required to bring them around. Despite some huge successes this past season the full integration of horses seems a bit more of a romantic dream. Really wish I had purchased a different freaking team of horses or had the skill+time to bring them around…

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Don’t take this the wrong way; as I know how hard you have worked with these horses and how much you have likely learned from working with them, but I have always told people to get the horses you need. As a green teamster it may feel like giving up on them, or failure, but they can go on to work for someone else. Ask Jody at Roxbury what it is like to integrate a single horse in their farm operation once they got the right horse. Please don’t take this the wrong way, and if you want to discuss this further just let us know.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

If the trimming is past due and they need it badly, it is worth calling an experienced farrier. Experienced farriers usually know how to convince a horse to lift their feet. Even the worst draft horse is a pushover compared to many hot bloods, or spoiled ponies.

Stocks are WAY scarier than free standing with a horse that doesn’t respect you. Having a farrier will also free up your time to get the rest or your farm work done.

I second what everyone else is saying about this being the straw that broke the camels back. Don’t be ashamed to keep shopping for a horse or horses that fit your time constraints and needs. I personally get vary attached to horses but throughout the years I have learned that I will work lots of horses through my life and it feels good to move on to a new one when it is time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.