Stock trailer and Tow vehicle for Oxen?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Stock trailer and Tow vehicle for Oxen?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dlskidmore
    Participant

That tip paid off. Signed today on a Chevy 2500. She’s in real good condition except some rust on the last 2 feet of the underbody. No tow hitch so they were not hauling a boat with it, so not sure what caused that pattern…

I’d called saying I wanted a full ton pickup, but he talked me back down to the 3/4, as long as those heavy hauls are short distance, low speed, occasional…

VIN Decoder data, if we can trust that:

MFR model code
    CK25953
    Body type:
    Long Bed
    Pass Doors:
    Alternative name:
    4WD Extended Cab Long Box
    Alternative body:
    Extended Cab Pickup – Long Bed
    Drivetrain:
    Four Wheel Drive

Original Pricing
    MSRP
    $30,875.00
    Invoice
    $27,015.63
    Destination Charge
    $850.00

Engine & Powertrain
    Type
    8 Cylinder Engine
    Displacement L/CI
    6.0/364
    Fuel Type
    Gasoline Fuel
    Horsepower
    300.0 @ 4400
    Fuel Economy
    0.0 City / 0.0 Highway
    Fuel Capacity
    20.0 / 34.0 gal
    Net Torque
    360.0 @ 4000

Tech Specs
    Manufactured By United States Chevrolet
    Active Curb Weight – Front3318 lbs (3318.0 min/3318.0max)
    Curb Weight – Rear2335 lbs (2335.0 min/2335.0max)
    Suspension Type – FrontTorsion Bar
    Suspension Type – Rear2-Stage Multi-Leaf
    Front Tire SizeLT245/75R16
    Rear Tire SizeLT245/75R16
    Brake ABS SystemFour-Wheel
    Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness12.8 x 1.5 in
    Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness13 x 1.1 in
    Wheelbase157.5 in (157.5 min/157.5max)
    Ground Clearance, Front10.6 in (10.6 min/10.6max)
    Ground Clearance, Rear13.6 in (13.6 min/13.6max)

The vehicle we took out for possible trade-in sprung a leak in the brake line on the way out. He topped us up and sent the bottle along with at no charge. The leak was too quick though, we’d not even gassed up again before the light was back on. Hubby refused to top up again, didn’t think it would do much good. Very glad to be back home safely, won’t be driving the truck ever again unless hubby can fix that leak at minimal expense. Don’t see paying for it to be fixed at this point, either someone mechanically inclined will buy it, or we’ll call AAA to haul it to scrap yard. We could probably sell it for a little more if it’s test drivable.

dlskidmore
    Participant

Guess the trailer is next summer’s project…

carl ny
    Participant

Just a thought. You didn’t say what year but it sounds like my truck. Mine is a 2006. I hope you don’t care about fuel economy because I only get about 10.5 on every day usage.The Ford I had got about 12.5 and the Dodge before that got about 16 mpg. All where comparable trucks. The next one I get I will definitely go back to the Dodge. That’s what I have always had, don’t know why I had to try the others. Live and learn. JMHO

carl nny

dlskidmore
    Participant

Most weeks hubby and I carpool. Our mechanic talked us into making it a point of driving the truck once a week to keep her in good condition, so she goes into town (40 miles round trip) most weeks. Occasionally when we have scheduling issues or the other car is in the shop we drive her more. When the old 2WD truck got stuck in the mud or snow, we just left her for a few weeks until the weather was more favorable for getting her out. Mileage is not a major concern. She just needs to do the job when we have a big job to do. If we needed a daily commuter, we might consider picking up an old sedan for summer use. As it is the gas savings wouldn’t be that considerable to make that worth it.

dlskidmore
    Participant

Picked her up today. The dealer strongly recommended annual Krown treatment. Seems they recycle used engine oil and aresol it all over the under-body and inside the body panels…

dlskidmore
    Participant

I’m slow, but continuing to follow good advice. 🙂

My 16′ bumper tow stock trailer arrives tomorrow. It’s old, it’s rusty in spots (buying it from the south, nothing like northern rust), it looks a bit beat up, but it’s in my budget and serviceable. I’m excited.

dominiquer60

Best Wishes. It is liberating being able to get away with working stock for work or new experiences.

dlskidmore
    Participant

I’ll probably need to upgrade my farm insurance before I get much use out of the trailer. We’re looking at doing some patchwork on it in the spring when it’s warm enough to expect consecutive outdoor work days…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.