Stomping with rear leg?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Stomping with rear leg?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

One of my “new” horses pretty regularly stomps with her right hind leg. The first time I noticed it was the first day I had her (mid January). It seemed like aggressive behavior because it was more of a stomp than a belly kick. One day I saw her out in the pasture doing it repetitively but it looked like she was rubbing flies off her other leg, but there were no flies mid winter. I kept watching her and thought it may be she was belly kicking and colic. I watched and she seemed fine otherwise. She has done it a few times in harness, again acting like she was kicking flies but no flies. Today I was pulling her shoes and she was giving me a tough time with her hind legs and it reminded me and I thought I would ask on here. She is a 16yo percheron Mare, solid otherwise. Tendon or muscle issues? Maybe parasites?

Any Thoughts?

Carl Russell

Scratches

Mike Rock
    Participant

http://www.horsecollaborative.com/treat-scratches-juju-actually-works/

Guess I’d better get proactive. We have a MUDDY year here. Mild winter plus rains. To deep to get the Bobcat in to clean the yard so there’s a foot of hay, manure and mud over half an acre. Kept moving the bale feeding area to help. Everyone is tired of the mud, even our Mulefoot piggies. Three Haflingers, three Percherons and a lonely Belgian.

Ron
    Participant

It does sound like Scratches, sulfur and mineral oil mixed as a paste usually works pretty well rubbed into the effected parts as aggressively as possible. Scratches are stubborn and it will take several applications over time. Old horseman used to call it “the Clyde itch” because the more feather a horse has the more likely they would have it. That was a little unfair because all horses have scratches not just Clyde’s.
    cheers
    Ron

Jay
    Participant

I agree, scratches. Be sure to clip all the hair under the fetlock and as far up the back of the leg the irritation goes to facilitate drying to help kill the fungus. I have used athletes foot cream on scratches with good results. Use care when cutting the hair – the scissors may tickle and cause the leg to jump a little. Jay

wally b
    Participant

That could be stringhalt.

wally

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I checked it out and it is a mild case of scratches, I hadnt thought of that and it is barely visible without close inspection.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.