Suffolk/Ardennes Team for sale

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Buy/Sell Livestock Suffolk/Ardennes Team for sale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    celeriacmaniac
    Participant

For Sale: Two Suffolk/Ardennes cross Mares, 15 yrs. old.
    I purchased 2 year old half sisters Milly and Crystal in 2004 from Ontario Suffolk breeder Ken Laing. Ken had them harness broken and they had been introduced to simple wagon and woods work chores. In operating a certified organic market garden, I then trained them to be productive and safe in the confines of row crops, doing diverse tasks like plowing and harrowing, manure spreading, seeding, cultivating, aiding harvests as well as haymaking and winter work in the woods.
    The mares are completely at ease with tractors and associated machinery in close proximity. Barking dogs, chainsaws, even gun blasts do not provoke them to react in an unsafe manner. They are entirely trustworthy on the road and have made trips to town of 16 – 20 miles. They have successfully worked with a variety of other horses in situations where I either rented a neighbor’s horse to make a three horse plow team or when I rented my team to neighbors to increase their horse power for special projects. The team has also been employed during my wife’s annual Farm Camp, where we host a group of 5 -11 year olds for a week of farm related activities including bareback riding and a horsedrawn wagon ride to neighboring dairy farm for a tour.
    Milly and Crystal are healthy and hearty and would be best served by a farmer/homesteader looking to keep them active.
    Standing at 14.2 and 15 hands they are easy to harness and care for. Their harness is included in the sale. When hard at work, I feed them oats, but normally do not do so. Their normal diet is hay and culled vegetables.
    Milly and Crystal are for sale because the farm has evolved to a size and scope where horses do not fit any more, not because there is anything wrong with the horses themselves.

Located in Lisbon, NY (2.5 hours north of Syracuse, NY)
    $5,000

thirdbranch
    Participant

am interested in your team.
    i am a beginner teamster with a perennial flower farm we would like to transition to animal draft power, so there would be lots of learning on our end of the reins. would they make a good team for a novice? can they also be ridden?

celeriacmaniac
    Participant

Yes, absolutely. Without knowing exactly what you are doing on your flower farm, I can say with a high degree of confidence that Milly and Crystal are very familiar with most of the jobs you are going to put them to work on and will have a good attitude (and be receptive to) learning new tasks as well. Now, of course in the transition, all three of you will require some time to familiarize with each other needs and expectations. This is normal for any combination of people and animals. Milly and Crystal will make it easy for you to learn and will shorten the time required to become safe and productive, as compared to a less experienced team.

I’d be happy to spend some time with you here at our farm giving you the basics on use and care. Our contact info is on our website kentfamilygrowers.com

My wife does ride them from time to time.

thirdbranch
    Participant

i sent you an email this morning…

patchencindy
    Participant

Sounds like a lovely team!

Peacework Farm
    Participant

Is the team still available? I am interested in them. Im outside of Syracuse.

thank you
    eli

eli at peaceworkcsa dot org

celeriacmaniac
    Participant

Team has sold. Thank you for the interest.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.