Suggestions for a forage seed mix

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming Suggestions for a forage seed mix

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pete Jesse
    Participant

I have a 20 acre field that I plan to seed for hay.
    The field generally floods in the spring and takes awhile to dry out.
    I have considered a Timothy/Orchard Grass mix but see conflicting information as to maturity dates for these two grasses.
    Another possibility is Timothy/Bromegrass mix as the Brome would reduce erosion on the ground, again a maturity date issue. Adding alfalfa to the mix might be difficult due to the wet conditions in the spring.
    The hay will be used for horses and other livestock.
    Any suggestions on a preferred seed mixture?

dominiquer60

Grasses grow stronger with a legume. Alfalfa, even the newer branched varieties, will not tolerate such wet conditions. There is a new red clover named “Freedom!” It lacks the heavy pubescence (hairs) that regular medium clover has and therefore drys down faster for making hay. Red clovers are generally more tolerant of wet fields than alfalfa.

I have lived on 2 farms that swear by a Timothy/Broome mix, one with red clover (clay soil) one without clover (loamy sand), either way it makes good feed and the animals like it.

The last few bags of Timothy that I bought are a late variety and even though it is only a few days later than the regular “Climax” variety, some times a few days can make a word of difference in quality. There are also some good late orchard grass varieties out there that can give yo a leg up on quality if you can’t get on the field super early.

I buy a lot of seed from Kings and Lancaster Ag (Kings neighbor with a few different other brands).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by dominiquer60.
    JMorrow
    Participant

Here’s a related question: how do you all apply the seed on a field like that? With a grain drill? We have a 6+ acre pasture that was mostly foxtail and cocklebur by the end of last season, with a little clover in the undergrowth. I’d love to get more grass and clover established this spring, and am considering either frost seeding (low-tech and cheap) or having our neighbor come with a drill (more expensive). Anyone had luck frost seeding orchard grass or other grasses? Thanks!

-Jake

Livewater Farm
    Participant

I frost seed most of my dairy pastures with a red clover/white clover timothy /orchard grass mix
    I use a hand held spin seeder walking the 10 + pastures does not take long plus gives me a good idea on condition of pastures
    I do this in end of mar early april here in southern vt
    pastures establish fast and hold up all season when managed properly
    Bill

JMorrow
    Participant

Great. Thanks, Bill. I think that’s what we’ll do, then.

Jake

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.