sulphur in the soil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    amanda07
    Participant

I have half an hectaire which for very many years was a vineyard. Around 15years ago the vines were pulled up. I am assured by local farmers that the reason I’m having no success in turning the land to pasture is due to the quantity of residual sulphur in the ground from treating the vines. Does anyone have any ideas to combat this situation?

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Amanda ~ Check out http://www.attra.ncat.org It’s an organization devoted to supplying information on sustainable & organic agriculture. I’ve seen information in it on how to add or subtract acidity in soils. I think part of it will have to do with the type(s) of soil & moisture amounts you have. It’s a good place to start,with lots of links & referrances to other sources. It’s primary source is the NSAIS. It’s subsidized by the USDA, but isn’t a part of it, so it’ll give you information that isn’t just mainstream in content. I hope this helps, and good luck!

amanda07
    Participant

Thanks Robert. The site is interesting and I found myself scurrying about all over. I’m not sure when I made the greater mistake, liming it when it may well have been heavily alkaline or keeping the horses on it now it’s probably very acid!! (The chemistry is beyond me; half lifes and oxydation rates might as well be chinese) so I’ll have to get myself educated and the soil tested….. Amanda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.