Survey of DAPNET use and implications as to potential member interest

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Draft Animal Power Network Draft Animal Power Front Office Rules, Announcements and Feedback Survey of DAPNET use and implications as to potential member interest

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andy Carson

I want to respond to to effect of threads being highlighted on the homepage due to recent activity.

If this were the main cause of increased activity, than all new posts would have dramatically increased activity. It is worth noting that while the draft logging research page was racking up over 4000 views, another thread was started celebrating our anniversary. It accrued only 63 views. So, its not just being highlighted that caused the high number of views.

Carl Russell

@Countymouse 38193 wrote:

….. It was of moderate interest, but not a “superstar” thread. So I thought I would get involved partly because I was interested and had not shared thoughts on this subject yet, and partly because I wanted to test Carl’s theory (above) about what really makes “superstar” threads so attractive. Quickly, other thoughts were contributed by a host of people and the thread snowballed into something interesting to everyone. It’s over 6600 views and 52 posts now. In two days, the thread attracted more than twice the views as it was able to in a year and a half. I know I am not the only reason that this thread got popular, and there was active discussion before I joined in. My feeling is that my participation, as well as that of others, brought this thread past a “tipping point” where readers recognized that there was broad diversity in the thoughts presented, as well as an open and inclusive exchange of these ideas, and could see the passion that some people have….. .

So Andy, this also shows me another point I tried to make in an earlier post. By taking interest in this thread, and blowing on some of the coals, you were able to rekindle a fire.

I also have many other things to do, like put critters in the freezer, or earn some money to pay down the credit card, so I really had no need to reply. My “passion” about that issue is clear. I also replied in part because I appreciate the thoughtful criticism that encourages me to refine my message. However, I am also aware that several hundred people may see this, and rather than dropping it, I think by engaging in constructive discussion we set the tone for the ultimate value of this site, and drew people’s attention to the topic.

This is why I think that as you and DAPNet consider how to use this site to its fullest capacity, finding a person, or persons, who can become the face of this site will be the best first step. To thank people for posting, to ask critical questions without insulting, to take the initiative to share personal experience or understanding, possibly artificially, just to attract attention to posts, can be what takes a thread over the tipping point to gaining “superstar” status.

This raises the purpose for that person on this site, from content of posts and threads, to the overall value of the functionality, the connectivity, of the site. An MC, a Greeter, a facilitator………a networker, pulling strings that activate the community response.

Carl

Andy Carson

I agree, Carl. I did understood your earlier point, I just didn’t completely believe you. Feel free to say “I told you so”… 🙂

I also think that Tim’s point about how many people read these discussions and how few participate is a good one.

Let me ruminate on these ideas a bit. Interpretting this data is not something I want to do rashly…

Carl Russell

Andy, I was just fooling around on the site and noticed that if you move the cursor over “Replies” on the thread index, you can click on it, and it will give you a list of all of the folks who posted on that thread. It might offer a “density” factor to compare member activity within different threads.

Also, if you haven’t noticed the google spiders were back, and more than doubled the last record for most user on the site at the same time….

Carl

Upon review, it seems that function only exists in the Quick Links for Todays Posts index…

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.