Swedish SV5 Shafts ATTN: Karl

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication Swedish SV5 Shafts ATTN: Karl

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Seeing the sv5 in person has got me excited about finishing some of my old projects in regards to the swedish military hitching style.

Karl could you measure the shaft length for me? I have built some basic shafts and I need the measurement from the hitch point to the base, or roughly where the cross bar attaching the two shafts connects to the shaft, so that I can cut and weld the slot for hitching.

Mine dont pivot yet but that will be stage 2.

Also do you have any of those little riveted plates that connect to the d-ring for hitching? I was planning on building my own but if I can buy some for a reasonable price I will.

Thanks
    Jared

Carl Russell

Hey Jared, it was great to meet you at the field days. I too am excited to develop some more trace/shaft hitching impliments. I have seen a few items in web searches that show wooden shafts made from a sapling split in two. One is a short sled built right on the curved sapling.

I will measure the shafts, but I think you can make them about as long as your rear trace and heel chains. As far as I can see, as long as the horse has free movement to walk, it should matter. You just don’t need twelve feet…..

I can get the clips. These seem to work really well just clipped into the rear side strap attachment on the D-ring. I particularly like that, as I can keep my harness intact. This is the hardware store that Morgan http://store.flobyoverskottslager.se/products/utrustning/verktyg-322869

These clips are simple, but you may be able to use something like John Plowden designed for his carts. He might make you something for less that it would cost to ship those over here….. I will try to get a supply of them to pass along.

Carl

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Thanks Carl (sorry I misspelled your name), Can you post a link to that sapling sled that you are referring to?

Thanks for the info so far, and for all of the good conversation at the field days. My gears have been spinning full speed since last weekend.

I will post some updates as I progress.

Jeroen
    Participant

Maybe this french article can be of some help: http://hippotese.free.fr/blog/index.php/post/2013/11/07/Le-harnais-chevilatte-peut-aussi-s-utiliser-au-palonnier…

They also have the measurments for the clips (in millimeters):
    chevillattes

Regards, Jeroen

Carl Russell

Jared, I knew who you meant. I don’t take offense at such misunderstandings.

The shafts on the Sv5 measure 68″ from the center of the draft slot to the evener cross bar.

Here is the Instagram link to the photo I was referring to. There are others in the search #horselogging. https://instagram.com/p/tV8c6gJ3cE/

I also attached the screenshot of the post.

Carl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

That is great, I am so happy that there is much more info floating around. It wasn’t long ago I posted some questions on this hitching system and there wasn’t a lot of info available on this forum.

I may have a big logging job lined up for this winter (my first) if I think I can handle it. The terrain is very steep but it is chock full of nice maple and almost all downhill skids to the road. It will be a lot of variables to mess with at once but I think using a single horse with the Scandinavian style arch will work well in the tight quarters.

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Jared, Plowden’s rig works well and I have it so I can use the fore cart as well as the log arch. Only disadvantage is using the tugs so I am considering using chain so I can keep the two things on the harness. I really like those Swedish clips though.

Carl Russell

I have been using the clips from Sweden in combo with my D-Ring harness. By clipping into the rear side strap bracket on the D-ring I can attach to the shaft/traces, and keep my leather traces intact on the harness…..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.