Swollen knee on prospective new horse

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Swollen knee on prospective new horse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pebbles
    Participant

Hi all:
    My DH and I are just getting started in driving. My DH drove many years ago and I have been driving a single horse for the last two months. Have found a pair of dog gentle Belgians-right size (not real big), right temperment, within driving distance and our price range. The 12 year old mare has a big knot on her knee-permanent old injury. Current owner bought her this way. She rides and drives, has never had a lame moment, vet looked at it several years ago and said if it doesn’t bother her keep using her, which they have done. Can you all take a look and tell me what you think of this right front knee. What would cause it…what is it?

I hope the files upload OK.

Thanks for helping me and your advice.

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi pebbles, if it s soft to touch and the horse doesn’t flinch when you touch there, might be just a bog spavin.
    not a good practice to go on what the vet told the former owners. you probably should get your own vet to look at her.
    if its a bog spavin its not too pretty to look at, but shouldn’t be a problem with her working. hope it turns out good for you, happy horse hunting.
    mitch

dlskidmore
    Participant

You might ask for vet records or a statement from the vet.

Pebbles
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion MM. We haven’t actually seen the horses yet, we will go see tham next week. Yes, sellers sometimes will tell you anything to get the horse sold. DL, we probably will ask a vet to come check her out when we go. Thanks for the advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.