The Death of a Good Man

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch In Memorium The Death of a Good Man

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

41147_1576877788278_1425617324_1561286_4543784_n.jpg

There are many words to describe the character of men. For Raymond Coté, in my mind, the word is “Genuine”.

I met Ray in 1995 at the Tunbridge Fair. I had a pair of Holsten oxen that I worked in the woods, and on my small farm. I was not necessarily into “showing” oxen, but I liked the idea of getting into the fair for free, and networking in the oxen barns for 4 long days.

The first time I saw him, he had a beautiful pair of black and white Holsteins hitched on a four wheeled wagon, driving them throughout the fairgrounds. As I watched him maneuver the vehicle around, including backing it into an out-of-the-way position, I could see immediately that this was a man inclined to use his animals to perform tasks far beyond the expectations of the show ring.

I was easily drawn into friendship with Raymond. Even though he was a teenager when I was born, we both grew up in a similar era in Vermont. In the 1960’s men still walked to work in the fields and forests, people owned, worked, and understood animals, and many made their livelihoods from the land. We found instant common ground swapping tales of learning to work in the woods from those men, and remembering a time when horses and oxen were still seen as important assets on small farms.

I didn’t know Ray as well as some folks, but whenever we would cross paths, he was always open, and it was readily apparent that he appreciated the connection we had made. When we started the Northeast Animal Power Field Days he was an early and avid supporter of the effort. He was one of our regular ox teamsters. Ray loved to demonstrate working skills with the oxen he brought to the event. He was serious about the potential capability that oxen have to perform honest work, and he took the necessary time to answer questions asked by people who were interested in what he was doing.

Last Friday night, August 27th, after a full day at work, he went to the woods with his Brother-in-law until nearly dark. He was in discomfort when they left to woods, and by the time they got home, it was apparent that he needed medical attention. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

At the memorial, although I didn’t know most of his friends and family, I heard them relate stories of the same man I knew. There was no prentense with this man. He was an honest, caring, helpful, and engaging person.

Genuine!

He will be missed. We will take a few minutes at NEAPFD this year to memorialize Raymond Cote, and to share thankfulness for all that he did, and planned to, contribute to the annual event.

Below is his obituary as it appeared in the Burlington Free Press, August 30th, 2010.

RAYMOND LEO COTE Sr.

RAYMOND LEO COTE, SR. HINESBURG – Raymond Leo Cote, Sr., 67, of Hinesburg died unexpectedly in Fletcher Allen Heath Care on Aug. 27, 2010. He was born in Bristol, Conn. May 5, 1943 the son of Joseph and Jeanne Cote. He grew up in Jonesville, attending Richmond Elementary and then Rice High School. For a brief time he worked for HP Hood in Beverly, Mass. He returned to Vermont and began a long career as a VT Transit Bus Driver. Most recently he worked for the State of VT Highway Department, New Haven Garage. He was a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus and avid outdoorsman, logger, and ox teamster. He leaves behind his wife, Helen, of 48 years; four children, Raymond Jr. and his wife Lynne, Stephen, Melanie, and Terri and her husband Neal Senecal; eight beloved grandchildren, Ashley, Bailey, Lily, Morgan, Ethan, Joseph, Gavin, Jacques; and special little nephew, Jared. He also leaves behind three sisters, Jeannine Hopkins, Jeannette and her husband Normand Nadeau, Rita Kangas; a brother, Philippe; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents; two brothers, Rene and Robert; and two brother-inlaws, Harold Hopkins and Aimo Kangas. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Sept. 1, 2010 at 10 a.m. at the Holy Rosary Church, Richmond. Interment at the Holy Rosary Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Raymond’s memory may be made to the VT Right to Life Committee or The Boy Scouts of America-Green Mountain Council.

mitchmaine
    Participant

carl, sorry about the loss of your friend. from the picture, it looks like he has a kind face and an easy going manner. best wishes to his wife and family.

mitch

near horse
    Participant

My condolenscences to you Carl as well as to Raymond’s family and friends. It may seem to be of little solace right now, but it is a blessing that he spent his last time here on earth in the woods with a family member. Many of us might appreciate that as being a part of our final day.

Andre
    Participant

Well said Carl.
    Ray became an instant friend of mine when I acquired a pair of bull calves. I had intentions of them being named steak and stew. When he stopped over after his day at work they became Mike and Mack. I had sold my horses when I bought a store in town so kinda took an interest in his “idea”. Well before long I had a daily visit at 3:30 as I live between his job and home. I ended up with more horses and Ray kinda took over the calves. “don’t tell my wife” he would say. He had great success showing them. And I had a “genuine” teamster as a friend! I am sure if animals and trees are present wherever he is, he is working on getting something done

Andre
    Participant

Well said Carl.
    Ray became an instant friend of mine when I acquired a pair of bull calves. I had intentions of them being named steak and stew. When he stopped over after his day at work they became Mike and Mack. I had sold my horses when I bought a store in town so kinda took an interest in his “idea”. Well before long I had a daily visit at 3:30 as I live between his job and home. I ended up with more horses and Ray kinda took over the calves. “don’t tell my wife” he would say. He had great success showing them. And I had a “genuine” teamster as a friend! I am sure if animals and trees are present wherever he is, he is working on getting something done

Anonymous
    Inactive

I met Ray at the field days two years ago, as he was demonstrating in the woods with a pair of holsteins. At first I was put off, as he was not being easy on the team. They weren’t able to pull the hemlock they had been hitched to, and if my memory serves, his nigh ox lay right down once or twice. He was using a piece of pvc as a goad, and he gave to that pair a bit. I ended up introducing myself to him, and talking to him all the way back to the fairgrounds.
    He lived in hinesburg, just the next town over from me, and when my wife and I got our first pair of calves I started to stop by and see him every month or so.
    He gave me a wealth of information, and I never saw the temper he had showed the first time I met him- he was a smart and gentle teamster.
    I was lucky enough to be able to call him a friend, and to learn from him.
    Ray was a good man, and I miss him.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.