The Dirty Life

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

” The dirty Life” is a new book out by one of my good friends, Kristin Kimball. Now, I am in no position to review this book because Kristin and Mark are two of my favorite people and Essex farm is one of my all time favorite farms, so I am a little biased. The book tells the story of two people who who fall in love and build a farm all in one breath.

I will tell you what another friend of mine told me. My friend Kent is an entrepreneur and has had a little experience with farming in his youth. He saw the book while celebrating Thanksgiving at our house. He just called to thank me for a fun evening and tell me he had been up until 2 am. last night as he couldn’t put the book down. It is a great story and it is told with so much humility and humor. Just fun. He also said it gave him a greater appreciate for all that Maryrose and I had been doing “out here”. Coming from a person I feel already appreciates me a great deal, this meant a lot to both of us. Thanks Kristin for telling a story for all of us.

I have read it twice in one month!

Rod
    Participant

So where do we get it?

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Both Kristan and I read the book and enjoyed it a lot. As an added bonus, they are horse farmers. Here’s a link to buy the book:http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Life-Farming-Food-Love/dp/1416551603/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291139624&sr=8-1

Theloggerswife
    Participant

I have that book listed on my Christmas Wishlist. Has anyone read The Friends of Meager Fortune? It was recommended in a magazine that I receive and I thought I might even be able to pursuade my husband to read it.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

If Meager fortune is the book I think it is; it is quite a tale of northern logging, but a little grim at times. Not exactly light hearted reading.

Rod
    Participant

@Does’ Leap 22378 wrote:

Both Kristan and I read the book and enjoyed it a lot. As an added bonus, they are horse farmers. Here’s a link to buy the book:http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Life-Farming-Food-Love/dp/1416551603/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291139624&sr=8-1

Thanks, ordered with 1 click.

Livewater Farm
    Participant

another good read TALL TREES AND TOUGH MEN BY ROBERT E PIKE

A HISTORY OF LOGGING AND DRIVING IN NEW ENGLAND

bruha6
    Participant

very good book, quick read!!

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Just finished it. I will agree w Donn that it is “grim at times”. The central theme seems to me to be how rumor and ambition can ruin people in a small community, how fast the shoe can be on the other foot, and just what weak creatures we are by virtue of our humanity.
    There is some decent logging stuff in there but it is primarily about the human condition, or the authors take on such, with logging being incidental.
    In my opinion.
    Mark

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

the author gives credit to Don McKay and his book Lumberjacks as a source. Anyone read that one?
    M

near horse
    Participant

While I haven’t gotten around to reading this book yet, I did see that it’s catching some press (see below).

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20101222_leading-the-dirty-life

mitchmaine
    Participant

my young farmer neighbor, keena, is the same keena in the book, while working for mark down in penn.
    she dropped off a copy two nights ago thinking i might like the book.
    i’m on my second go around and read it to penny last night in bed. we both love the book. and encourage every one here on the site to read it too. its a hoot. just a great story about falling in love with farming and horses and people. thank you donn, for posting this.
    mitch

karl t pfister
    Participant

Hay Mitch, well said , “it is a hoot “, makes it easier to laugh at some of the crazy stuff we get into ourselves ! karl

mitchmaine
    Participant

she tells her story so honestly, karl. everyone whos ever been there say “yeah”. she lays it right open to the bone and i admire her for it.

Gulo
    Participant

I have it too, and recommend it as well!

We offer it here:

http://www.newfarmer.ca/general-store.html

Thanks…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.