The thrill of skidding logs with a good team

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Forestry The thrill of skidding logs with a good team

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Plowboy
    Participant

I recently was able to finish a small logging job close by after not skidding for a couple years. There is nothing like a good team that will back blindly into a tight spot by voice and then give everything they’ve got to start a big log out of a hole. Coincidently the team we used a Belgian gelding that only skidded a couple times in his life and a grey Percheron mare that had never been to the woods and they performed very well. This team is pictured on page 161 in the latest issue of The Draft Horse Journal in my latest article about our groups silo fill. Just from the training we’ve given them doing farm work they easily adapted to logging. Good days like that make me wish I had the time to do more horse logging. It sure is a rush for me at least especially when a team will give all they’ve got just for the asking. I sure do envy those of you who have been able to make a go of it full time, maybe someday. We cleaned up a skidder job so there were some hazards and obstacles that would have been prevented on a draft only job but we got through it. I sure wish I could figure out how to reduce some photos because we have a bunch in various situations and equipment not yet covered in the photo gallery.
    Good Skidding Everybody,
    Plowboy

416Jonny
    Participant

What do you use to view your pictures with? Most of them have an option to resize the picture. Just remember if you save the picture, save it under a different name. Or all those big, pretty pictures you took will become small, pretty pictures.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.